Start a new thread

1 to 15 of 15 replies

I planted my Alliums in sep/oct as instructions in a pot with added grit in a sunny site. I was expecting them to be coming up by now but so far nothing. Have they died or am I to early In expecting to see them?

Some of my alliums are yet to appear, others are just showing. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet, it's still fairly early, so give them a bit of time. Sometimes newly planted bulbs take a bit of time to establish. 

Busy Bee2

Not seen much of mine yet either. 

artjak

Mine are mostly about 3 or 4 inches tall, but they are well established.

MrsGarden

Same here, some not showing some just appearing.

Advertisement

Busy Bee2

Just looked - some are up.  But while we are on the subject, last year was my first time with alliums, and the other day, when I went past the flower bed I spotted an array of familiar looking seedlings.  They were just like onion pips.  After a moment's thought, I realised that an allium must have seeded in the flower bed.  Does anyone know if they would eventually develop into proper allium bulbs and flowers, or shall I just weed them all out? 

iGrow
I bought some at Gardeners World last June and planted them straight away... Four out of the six planted are looking very healthy and I suspect the others have failed although there is time yet.
fidgetbones

Allium christophii seeds about generously in undisturbed spots. They take about 2 to 3 years to reach flowering size.

Busy Bee2

Thanks Fidget. I might try and grow some of them on then.  I absolutely loved the Christophii last year.  Firework explosions the size of footballs!!

NGLittleSeedlings

Mine are coming along okay, about 4 / 5 inches tall. 

franco6832

they are tugs if they like your soil. they spring up all over the place.

Hostafan1

I've had aliums self seed too ,and like fidgetbones say, about 2 - 3 years time you'll have lots more.

Malcolm Harrison
Cathy Raine wrote (see)

I planted my Alliums in sep/oct as instructions in a pot with added grit in a sunny site. I was expecting them to be coming up by now but so far nothing. Have they died or am I to early In expecting to see them?

I think it is a little early yet. I leave mine in the ground over winter and now the strap-like foliage is growing first quite quickly before the flower bearing stems appear.  If you haven't any foliage by now they may have died - did you leave them outside in the pot during all the weeks of rain we have had over this winter? - the bulbs/roots may have rotted in the saturated compost. I would have a look at the bulbs.

I'm thinking of growing alliums individually in pots this year so I can place them round the garden next Spring, I've never grown them before. So I was wondering what size pot would be required for each bulb and is there any particular compost preference. 

fidgetbones

You will need deep pots filled with gritty free draining compost.  Try and get them in the ground before the roots fill the pots.