London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
10 messages
18/09/2013 at 20:14

Hello Gardeners World !

Am new to this forum and hope someone can answer this question for me !

just learned that now is a good time to remove, dry and store allium seed heads for sowing next spring but i am wondering should they be planted directly into soil or into pots until they establish ?

Many thanks 

18/09/2013 at 20:16

If you have an area you can leave undistubed, you can grow them straight into the soil. My A. christophii selfseeded a lot in an undisturbed corner.

Otherwise sow in deep trays of gritty compost, and grow on for a year or two to grow larger bulbs before planting out.

18/09/2013 at 20:19

Most of mine seed around the garden with no help from me. 

They are sowing themselves now for another round.

I wouldn't sow them into the soil, it's too easy to weed them out while they're still small. I'd sow them in gritty compost, some now and some in spring then you're bound to be successful. Probably with both sowings

18/09/2013 at 20:22

Many thanks fidgetbones, nutcutlet etc !!! Am totally new to this forum idea so really appreciate the speedy response !

18/09/2013 at 20:34

How long from sowing to flower? The average allium bulb is huge, suggesting you may have to wait a bit before you actually get flowers. I appreciate bulbs are not cheap, but I want results the year I plant them.

18/09/2013 at 20:43

I've grown Galtonia candicans and lilium regale from seed , and got flowers the second year.

18/09/2013 at 20:45

seed sowing and germination is exciting in itself WW. The wait is unimportant.

It's 3 years for A. christophii as a rule, only 2 for some of the smaller ones.

18/09/2013 at 21:06

The GW advice to stroe seeds was totally erroneous. They don't like being stored and can then take years to germinate if they ever do.

See here

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/talkback-seeds---how-to-collect-allium-seeds/195.html

19/09/2013 at 04:30

Onion seeds need to be fresh each year. Stored seed (older than a year)will usually not germinate. Parsnips also need fresh seed each year. Peas and beans will keep for donkeys years if dry.

19/09/2013 at 07:36

There's a giant variety of allium (can't remember the name) that takes FIVE YEARS to flower from seed  It's stunning though, so for me it's well worth it 

email image
10 messages