Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Allium

B3B3 Posts: 27,472

At what stage do allium buds appear?

Leaves are about a foot long,  but there doesn't seem to be anything in the middle.

In London. Keen but lazy.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

The recent chilly weather might be holding them back. I always associate alliums with Chelsea which is 3 weeks off yet. 

Devon.
  • darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    My nectaroscordum buds are 3' high, getting nice and fat, my other alliums - Nada.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

which alliums B3? They have different flowering times, image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

Mine have barely appeared yet although I think their variety flowers more commonly in June. 

• B3B3 Posts: 27,472

I'm in London.

My concern was that when I parted the leaves, there was nothing in the way of buds you would see in tulips or daffodils. and wondered if this is normal. Thinking perhaps I didn't plant them deep enough

Don't remember the variety, but it's purple lollipop type - but not the huge one.

Hello Edd,

Is this affecting alliums?

• Rach10Rach10 Posts: 3

Hi B3, I've purchased my first ever Alliums from our local garden centre and yet to be planted in the garden, the stems are about 10 inches high with buds on them all, but I guess not helpful to compare as they would have come from a nursery somewhere. I live in Lincolnshire. I guess its just watch and wait to see how they grow.

• smallswansmallswan Posts: 86
    I am in the soft south west (still perishing cold here too). My Allium Christopheri are in their first year, and some of the dozen I put in have the beginnings of a bud, but I am not uncrossing my fingers yet.

Oh well, if they're blind, maybe they'll flower next year.image 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I dont know if this helps. These are the tall purple pom pom type, I think either purple sensation or globemaster.  the photo was taken last week. They are in the veg patch for cutting.