Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Am I grumpy cos.....

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

I like some plants.  others no.  Does it make me grumpy to say it? image

I don't like aquilegia....they seed everywhere..  Don't like crocus (foliage anyway) ...they flower so briefly and leave a legacy of weedy foliage.  I have  a nice clump of hosta (patriot) now emerging but crocus foliage is spoiling the scene.  Initially crocus were planted to provide colour to an otherwise bare area until hostas grew but the crocus has taken over. no problem as I am removing most of the crocus.

what do you good folks not like in the  plant world?  

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Skimmia japonica.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Acuba japonica variegata and Choisya Sundance

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Forsythia and Kerria 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Spirea and Kerria

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I'm not keen on any sort of novelty for the sake of it. 

I don't like those splashy variegations you get on some shrubs and I really don't see the benefit of a variegated pyracantha or ceanothus for example.

Not Variegation per se,  love it on Holly for example, but just not keen on something that's different but not better.

Am I allowed to say I HATE  bedding and hanging baskets?  image

Devon.
  • WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Thinking about it...it's not that I don't like them per se, I just don't want them in my garden image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    Verdun wrote (see)

Choisy Sundance Dove!  I love it. Like the coloured foliage spireas but not the plain green forms.  Kerria?  Agree with that.  Not for me.  I have skimmia Kew Green in full flower right now KEF.  Bees love it as I do image

I knew you'd say that!  image  There was one outside my office window at work - it never looked healthy to me - pale and wan image  I got permission to dig it up and replace it with a Sambuccus Nigra 'Black Lace' - huge improvement image  The birds were happier too image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I think there will be a lot of disagreements here! But I agree with KEF - don't like Skimmia. Also hate hellebore foetidus and plants with green flowers. There is enough green already with leaves and grass. Hate ivy, Virginia Creeper and Vinca Minor because they want to take over my garden.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
    I really dislike roses. I think it stems back some years of trying to grow them and failing miserably because of rust. Have not tried for 15 yrs. I also dislike foxgloves