London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 167 messages
23/09/2012 at 11:11
I sense that perhaps some members think I post too much so I will refrain from commenting if that's what others feel. I enjoy reading all the posts, all the views, all the side issues and respect each and every one of them. I am far from an expert, never pretend to be, but I have a fairly good understanding of the subject mainly through success AND FAILURE and hope to encourage others to make fewer mistakes
23/09/2012 at 11:24
christopher2 wrote (see)
I sense that perhaps some members think I post too much so I will refrain from commenting if that's what others feel. I enjoy reading all the posts, all the views, all the side issues and respect each and every one of them. I am far from an expert, never pretend to be, but I have a fairly good understanding of the subject mainly through success AND FAILURE and hope to encourage others to make fewer mistakes

No you are not-don't be so sensitive-lighten up a bit- a bit of understood humour never goes amiss

I assume this posting is about a disagreement yesterday/today-I have asked you tell us more about yourself and show us some images of your garden-why not do that?

Join in the chat a bit more-sometimes you do have a tendency to come over as rather serious- as someone else remarked the other day-but then we are all different- which is always the same on a forum.

Come on Christopher-we are all mates here

23/09/2012 at 11:25

Christopher2 as I have said on several occasions you need a thick skin and a sense of humour to post on a forum. YOU should post as often as you want. BUT if you say something that others feel is incorrect or misleading to a newbie then they are entitled to comment and you need to fight your corner or admit that you misread the question or just ignore them.

This forum is very gentle, I belong to some others where you get called all sorts of names just because of your username. It has never scared me off 

23/09/2012 at 11:39

Please keep posting as much as you like  christopher2

Pam LL x

23/09/2012 at 11:41
Don't stop posting christopher2, very pleased to see you offering your advice. As with any advice, there is likely to be differing opinions on the different courses of action available to take. It is up to the poster asking the question to evaluate all the advice given and chose which they wish to follow.

As a new gardener, I am eagerly soaking up all the combined knowledge of all posters to the forum, and much prefer a spectrum of different opinions instead of a mono- culture on the forum.

Many thanks for your opinions you have given so far, keep it up.
23/09/2012 at 12:46
Thanks folks.
23/09/2012 at 13:32
Christopher, keep posting, enjoy the banter and the gentle jests. Don't take it all too seriously. We do this for fun. Having said that we also enjoy a heated discussion now and then.

I loved the discussion a few weeks ago about not answering the question and going off topic, ending with a barrage of 'non sequiturs'. Humour is a great way of dispelling too much seriousness.

Try Fork Handles to experience the lighter side of life!
23/09/2012 at 14:17

Overpostitis - never heard of it! If you've got the time, inclination, knowledge, interest, do it - it's up to everyone else if they read it!! 

23/09/2012 at 15:58
My habit is to stir a little, be mischievous a little and to joke an awful lot. I dont really take offence but do argue a lot I guess. I haven't read fork handles but I will Penninepetal
23/09/2012 at 16:30

Christopher, if you start reading Fork Handles from the beginning we might never hear from you again! It's a very long thread ;- )  Also, have you looked to see how many posts other people have made? There are some in the thousands.

23/09/2012 at 18:21

Christopher2 - what I really like about this board is the mix between sharing advice/experience/inspiration/humour/off the wall stuff. It is fun! Keep posting!

23/09/2012 at 20:17

you carry on mate iv'e just stared posting. found lots of help and  advice and interesting stuff.

23/09/2012 at 20:34

I've not been posting on here very long, and I think I've probably posted quite a lot - I've enjoyed  our 'conversations' Christopher.  Occasionally someone will get the wrong end of the stick - that's life - if you get the chance you can explain yourself  - smileys do help with the 'tone' of a post but I know some people don't like them and probably think I use them too much.  Well, as far as I'm concerned I'll stick a smiley on most things, then people know I'm not being snotty, even if the post is a bit terse - don't worry about it Chris - can I call you Chris on this occasion?  Most of us are mates on here now, either old mates or new ones.  There'soccasionally one or two WUMS but they're sad individuals and I think it's pretty obvious who they are when they crop up.  I occasionally pop in and say Hi on Forkhandles, but I don't get much of a chance to chat for long due to work and gardening   Retirement beckons 

23/09/2012 at 22:52

Keep going Christopher2 - the more advice the better as far as I'm concerned

23/09/2012 at 23:49
I use n iPad so no smileys but dovefromabove I appreciate your kind words. Retirement beckons? Is that what you are looking forward to? Apparently I can devise a sort of smiley on iPad or use my desktop. I look forward to your comments on various subjects because they are well informed, perceptive and to the point. Hey! Just realised.....is that a smiley at end of your post?
23/09/2012 at 23:53
Sotongeoff, no offence taken. It seems we are all now singing along to Donovan. Can't argue when we are singing.
24/09/2012 at 00:16

Dove from Above, what on earth is a WUM?  I know of Muppets and Trolls, but your acronym has me intrigued.

Christopher2, keep posting.  I've just stumbled across the thread in question, and I think that even in a country as small as England (not excluding Wales, Scotland, NI, Eire and all the other bits that are the UK), the weather (which has been really random this year), and the location can mean that some folks have things flowering when others are still looking at eden sleeping.

Everyone has different ways of doing things and different advice to offer, which is why this forum is so great.  This is a very friendly forum, I've posted on wedding and baby forums in the last few years, and sometimes massive cat-fights broke out there, a mixture of nerves and hormones I think.  The disagreements on here are never (in my experience) malicious, just differences of opinion.

24/09/2012 at 03:35
Sorry for butting in, but had to congratulate mummy muddy paws on getting a mention in next months magazine.
24/09/2012 at 05:54

Hi MummyMP - a WUM is a Wind Up Merchant - someone who intentionally provokes bad feeling on a Forum by goading others.  

And Christopher, yes - now  I've got a proper garden again rather than a tiny northfacing yard, and hopefully I can retire at the end of next year - time to garden, paint, write and cook properly and the energy to read novels rather than work-related stuff - you see, I'm getting over excited again 

And  if you're on an iPad you  can make a smiley with a colon and a bracket, i.e. , or , or  or a querying sort of smiley :-/ or a wink

24/09/2012 at 10:47

Richardsdrr - It's getting to be a habit, I was in there last month, too!  Since having children and being made redundant (all in the same year!) I have become queen of gardening on a shoestring!  An appeal for money saving tips went out about 6 weeks ago, I've submitted enough to keep them going for several issues!

The garden centre vouchers are coming in very handy, although I could spend each one several times over.  I also won some M&S vouchers over the weekend, so I'm having a pop on the lottery superdraw this friday!

DoveFromAbove - All is clear, these used to be called Trolls on the wedding forum, and were often the funniest threads, as it was Handbags At Dawn with a lot of them!

1 to 20 of 167 messages