London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
41 to 60 of 131 messages
07/03/2014 at 17:17

Would be nice to have lovely weather all year round!

I would envy those with seasons then!

The grass is always greener...........

07/03/2014 at 17:19

I sat outside in the sun this afternoon and pricked out my lettuce, cabbage and lobelia. And the ladies slipper orchid has survived and spread. The scilla I put in the front lawn last autumn hav'nt rotted, it's all exciting.

07/03/2014 at 17:22

Do have greenhouse envy though, big garden but no practical place to put a greenhouse.

07/03/2014 at 18:13

Ha ha Mike  No more 'b' word, promise 

I'm glad I'm not the only one with greenhouse envy 

07/03/2014 at 18:23

I have 'space' envy, I don't exactly want 'rolling acres', but a few more sq. metres would be great

07/03/2014 at 18:48

Envy here- all those lucky people who have native primrose - can never find them and don't seem to take.

I have an offer today of some seedlings- so folks fingers crossed

07/03/2014 at 18:48
I'm envious of Tracey cos she can't imagine sleepless nights ( and her kids are similar age to mine as I remember)
Also envious of KEF cos her brugmansia is showing new growth before mine.
Envious of all the garden knowledge you all have.
07/03/2014 at 19:00

There is a lot of greenhouse envy.

I envy those with vision for their garden.  I want lots of space for all the plants I love, but need a plan.

Tracey - I know what you mean.

08/03/2014 at 00:18

Mrs Garden, don't get me wrong, I do have sleepless nights but now it's through worrying and too much going on in my brain, but I have learned to manage it.  I never sleep for more than 5 hours at a time though but I usually get straight back to sleep and don't have to worry about settling a little one  My boys are 15 and 12 (almost 13) by the way  Being in the garden helps loads with sleep...or lack of!!

08/03/2014 at 00:20

Also Mrs Garden, I just noticed another comment, garden knowledge, what garden knowledge? LOL  I'm just muddling along from info on here so can join you in that envy .......  I need more knowledge 

08/03/2014 at 03:57

Oh, so much envy Was this your idea, Tracey. Think so. By the way, the boxer, S&G playing now!

Verdun, you took this on? We're all jealous of your garden, you rotten b****r!

Can't answer all I've seen so far, but in effort to catch up:- I got a GH for free Sept 2012 from my friends' Dad, 6x8, and he gave me new bolts and glass to replace what he broke taking down, all for free. So, I have a GH. I have a med to large garden with 2 sheds, a kids play area, good-sized, irregular shaped borders, 5 raised beds of 8x4' each, made from scaffolding boards.), a patio area, coldframe, and decent-sized lawn for play (although it gets smaller every yr!)  Very stony soil, a pain in backside when digging, but has made paths in fruitcage, and has probably enabled many plants to survive our wet winters. I have also stolen the boys' 8x4 sandpit, made from old sleepers, and added 3 plastic 2x2 rat cage bottoms given by a friend, and the boys already had old shell-shaped sandpits as gardens.

All o my garden gets full sun all summer, except the patio area next to conservatory, which is in deep shade,(North facing).

My envy?

Knowledge, Imagination, gut instinct, experience, an ability to plan, Time, a little more money. More shade for some plants, less wind (the wind is really bad), a different aspect to plant more climbers without cutting the sun I really need. Less need for sun.(not for plants, for me, My Dad is half caste African, and I seem to need more sun than him or any plant!) Somewhere to plant a peach or nectarine, Someone physical to talk through my plans, who is interested enough, and strong enough to talk me into, or out of ideas.

My ex once applied to one of those gardening programmes on the telly to have a makeover. I would have loved the stay in a hotel to keep me out of the way, but I know I would have hated anything they did to my garden without my explicit instructions!.

But I wouldn't care if they painted inside my house sky blue pink with a finny addy border!

So, I think my greatest envy would be the Knowledge, experience and artistic flair to mix the plants that I love into a beautiful, scented, wildlife friendly and useful garden. Another greenhouse wouldn't go amiss, either And 3 more coldframes!

08/03/2014 at 04:07

Oh, I forgot compost envy! Can never make enough or get all I need to make it, then have to decide where best to use it. Our council doesn't sell the stuff they make back to us!Add to my garden 2 pallet heaps and 1 'dalek'. 

08/03/2014 at 07:58

Gardenjeannie..I is so shocked.  You swore at me.  And you were my favourite girl here too 

I guess my ENVY is for those who can grow great roses and Japanese acers.  I grow a couple of jap maples  but could not hope to grow those yellow and orange foliage varieties.

Also of those who have a stream at the bottom of their gardens.  

08/03/2014 at 08:55

GJ, I think I may have posted something on the Forkers thread which was verdun's inspiration 

Today I'm envious of all the sun the south and south west are going to get......it's still grey here but the sun is trying to peep through 

08/03/2014 at 08:56

"Also of those who have a stream at the bottom of their gardens."

Ohh, me too, but preferably at the bottom of a sloping garden!

08/03/2014 at 09:10

I can boast one of them - and yes, luckily, very steep slope and very small stream

08/03/2014 at 09:10

Matty, can't grow primroses here either. Shallow limestone. Primroses prefer less alkali, more moisture, but cowslips grow very well here. Cowslips grow well in the Cotswolds and I think this bit of Dordogne is more like the Cotswolds.

I envy people who can plant roses where they like without the deer eating them.

08/03/2014 at 12:43

Yippee, my snowdrops have just arrived.....

08/03/2014 at 13:13

Yes, this thread was inspired by Tracey. But I get all the commission........

08/03/2014 at 18:47

Not an envy as such, just something I would like........more hours in the day please 

41 to 60 of 131 messages