London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
61 to 80 of 122 messages
08/03/2014 at 18:56

Jealous of.....

Anyone whose greenhouse is already up and running. Anyone who can get a mini-digger round the back of their property without access problems.  Anyone who can get a hardy trachelospermum (which is thick will lovely healthy leaves) to bleeping well flower.  Anyone with a decent sized daphne.  Anyone with a swimming pool or a hot tub in the garden.  Anyone who doesn't have moles and rats (although we DON'T have mole-rats).  Anyone with a ride-on lawnmower.  Anyone with a fruit cage.  Anyone who doesn't have longstanding thistle roots and couch grass roots sending up weeds through everything they grow.  Anyone who is allowed to stick up a polytunnel.  Anyone who wasn't stupid enough to grow brassica seedlings, only to find they dry up, cos central heating is too much for them (wasted effort there!)  Still, lots of seeds left over.  Anyone whose bees make enough honey to justify nicking some, rather than subsidizing them over the winter with sugar syrup and fondant icing.   (Feeling like a one-way relationship)  But mostly..... ANYONE who has ever grown meconopsis from seed.  Did the whole fridge thing, got the seedlings up, but they always flunked.  My dad never cracked that one either.  If anyone's done it, let us know how! Boasting about.... Unlimited space.  Good climate.  Stream at bottom of garden plus slope to prevent floods (but you'd all laugh if you saw what this means in actuality!)  Snowdrops weeks ago - daffs, primulas, crocuses, irises now and tulips storming forwards.  Chilli and tomato plants thriving.  Potatoes in.  Unlimited supply of mature from round the corner ('free horse poo, PYO' the sign goes, so I just head round with a few gardening buckets.)  Just lost 1 stone 4lb.  That's about it I think.  xx
08/03/2014 at 18:56

Some of your 'southern' heatwave would be nice right now. Had to double up on pegs on the washing in case I had to hunt for daughter's school uniform down the next road...

It's just a tad windy here and it ain't an overly warm one! 

08/03/2014 at 19:13

Ha ha fairy, that was me yesterday when the wind kept blowing the towels off, had 4 pegs on each in the end. Got all my washing dry today which leads me to a new envy.....anyone that has their ironing done for them  Anyway, it will have to wait for tonight, things to sow/plant!! 

08/03/2014 at 19:33

Busy Bee - if you move to Scotland you might get Meconopsis to grow. They like our climate.

I've never grown them though - because I really, really don't like the colour. Sorry..

08/03/2014 at 19:37

Have to say that I do have some doubts about the colour FG!  Think you would have to think carefully about companion planting.  They are very blue, like Morning Glory, and would clash with a lot of things.  But knowing how hard they are, I am quite determined to succeed one day!

08/03/2014 at 19:43

I think you're right - they need careful consideration in terms of other plants. Many people keep it subtle - lots of green foliage, bit of white etc so that the poppy is the star of the show. Only problem with that is, once they're over, you need something else to take their place or it could become a bit flat. Depends on the look you want though. I feel they work best in contemporary 'less is more' gardens. A Scandinavian look perhaps! 

08/03/2014 at 19:48

Wouldn't really work round here - all rather traditional architecture etc.  You are right - I never really wanted them anyway!!

08/03/2014 at 20:45

I'm envious of everybody who doesn't have Honey Fungus!  Discovered today that my favourite Acer (a beautiful red palmatum dissectum which had grown to about 6ftx6ft) has succumbed over the winter.

I'll have to hoik it out tomorrow but at least I can get to that area without stomping on too many bulbs and I have a new bit of space for something else.

08/03/2014 at 20:56

Envious of everyone who has plants that haven't been squashed by size nine feet. Just has the fence repaired and now have several trampled plants. Very annoyed!

08/03/2014 at 21:04

That's a shame Bob.   

This talk of not liking blue.......????   I LOVE  blue flowers. Could make quite a list of blue  flowering plants I grow.  As for associating them, well, they contrast and complement so many plants....an orange echinacea near a blue salvia, a yellow osteospermum in front of a blue flax, a blue delphinium behind a red dahlia, a blue caryopteris and geum Totally Tangerine......????? 

08/03/2014 at 21:06

I am pleased to report that I no longer have seed envy  LOTS of seeds sown tonight and some bulbs/bare roots planted in pots too.  Very pleased with myself

Scott, I would be cross too 

08/03/2014 at 21:08

My next door neighbour can only see blue flowers. I made him a list and the year I successfully raised a load of blue poppy  plants, I gave him half a dozen. They were planted in a group in shaded soil enriched with lots of horse manure. When they flowered , he bought me a bottle of champagne.

His blue poppies did better than mine. Must have been the horse poo.

Edd
08/03/2014 at 23:22

WOW Verdun .

What have you created here?

You say.

"Ok, as suggested earlier, this is your ENVY thread to tease, wind up and boast"

I struggled with this topic 2 days ago and still am.

I found it fascinating and understand why everyone wants a bigger greenhouse ( no matter how big or expensive and good looking it is! There is never ever enough room, for us!)  That does not make it envy? as we may not have seen. We just have expectations of our future.

It must just be a gardening thing as i am still do not understand it as it is more of a vision than envy? 

I have thought long and hard and read the comments that have been said. There is very little tease/wind ups or boasts IT actually works in reverse. The comments made are put on other threads and direct back to hear. How funny! ( me included)

I think this thread should change its name to 'visions of the future' 

What do you think? No insult Vernun. Just a thought.

Not sure i am envious of anything? Is that normal?

Regards

Edd.

PS. Daintiness. The joke is over now, can we all have our army of frogs back now, please.

Some people are getting envious. LOL.

Edd
08/03/2014 at 23:50

Cross over but i did realise that there is one thing that i am envious of and i do not think that it will get any better, now.

"Great pics of newts Nut!( i know you mentioned before)  Yes Chichy. The males have great dark/black crests down there back of there spine and the females are smooth and a bit lighter with bright orange/ yellow tripe down the belly. I do hope they have plants to lay eggs on. Then again they would not be there if they did not.

Isn't nature wonderful, but is it art? 

Only if you can capture it on camera and share it."

I have just realised that i now have envy of people whose hands do not shake and have good vision?

Sad regards

Sorry

Edd.

09/03/2014 at 00:06

Hello Edd

Tongue in cheek thread really.

Envy, of course, is a transient thing.....not like jealousy which is a permanent destructive state......and often implies a hope or ambition to have something quite simple or relatively commonplace.  In the context of this thread though it is to unite us in a bit of fun.  In reality I think we all like our own gardens in the place they are and as they are.  

Edd
09/03/2014 at 00:20

Thanks Verdun. I knew what you meant by the thread.

I always see hope and ambition from members as a good thing. If i can put inspiration into that, then it can only become my ambition.

' I would just like to make a difference in this world'

That is all. Such a small thing.

Kind regards.

Edd.

09/03/2014 at 00:58

I'm envious of the garden I used to have, lovely clumps of small anemones,  pasqueflowers, special irises.  Where are they now?  Disappeared because of all the "improvements", changes of plan, fits of boredom and ambition.  I'm really regretful that garden centres seem to be getting worse and worse.  It's useless visiting them with any hopes of a purchase of something particular.  They will have hundreds of pots of what they want to sell, and of course endless scented candles, tea towels, dog baskets....... Book shops can get you books you want.  Ask for something you want in a garden centre, and they seem to resent it and think you are showing off or something.

09/03/2014 at 06:58

I am envious of anyone who got to play in their garden yesterday.

09/03/2014 at 10:02

Another big envy: All wonderful open/public/trust gardens you in the UK can visit!

green with envy!

10/03/2014 at 14:34

busybee, I have some mecanopsis seeds germinating; so far they are about 8mm high they are in a heated propagator.

But have envy of your toms being so far ahead, mine have only just been sown.

61 to 80 of 122 messages