London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
101 to 120 of 131 messages
11/03/2014 at 22:09

Hello to all ...  enjoying this thread!

Busybee, just to "get your goat" I have to report that I managed to grow a dozen or so blue meconopsis sheldonii which are now nice sized plants and will be going in the border in a couple of weeks. Didn't do anything special ... just collected seed from one of my existing plants and sowed fresh. They came up quite quickly and have spent the winter in a coldframe. 

Oh ...  and I managed to get a record crop of honey from my bees last summer (500 lbs). Fingers crossed that we get another good summer. 

But .. I am totally envious of anyone with half decent soil! I have to seriously improve mine with copious amounts of compost / manure before I can plant anything. Digging a hole for a shrub requires a pickaxe. Still, good exercise!

12/03/2014 at 09:24

envious of anyone with large south facing garden, still working out when sun catches my east and west back and front through year, envious of anyone with oh who shares love of gardening and v envious of anyone who doesn't get cripplingly sore back after an hours digging

12/03/2014 at 09:35

Bee witched - you and I obviously live at opposite ends of the spectrum!  Perhaps sheldonii is the way to go.  We tried betanicafolia (I think - spelling probably dodgy here!)  And you got the seed for free.  Maybe I should look out for one at the GC.  I am hoping that last year's pitiful honey showing was down to the bees being moved 200 miles in the middle of the season and having to re-align themselves, also the queens being in their first year.  One of my hives seems to be marching forwards aggressively this spring, but I am worried about the other one.  When I went to check on whether they needed more fondant icing about a month ago, the crown board had got stuck in the roof, and as I lifted the roof, it dropped out, so I keep wondering if I squished the queen!  Need to go look when I can get round to putting a new zip in my space suit.  But we do have lovely crumbly dark soil that hasn't been waterlogged, full of well rotted manure, into which I ventured some carrot, lettuce, coriander and rocket seeds yesterday (am going to cloche them - realise it's a bit early for the latter two).

12/03/2014 at 09:44
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39362.jpg?width=350

I have a large south facing garden, Louise, but it has terrible soil. Shallow clay on limestone rock, very alkali. First year all the plants in the veg garden were yellow and short and the roses needed sequestrene But that was 23 years ago. Now, after tons of manure, a big love of gardening, arthritic hands (too much weeding) it looks like this.

Have also had problems with deer eating my plants and roses, now this bit and the veg garden are fenced. Has bindweed too!

It was a bramble and nettle patch with a farmyard and knee deep grass in 1990.

KEF
12/03/2014 at 09:53

I love blue plants.

Busy Bee2 I'm envious of your Ceanothus, had one some years ago, too exposed for it. Mum only 5mins away can even grow the variegated Californian Lilac.

As for blue Meconopsis, I have one that I bought last year, it's in a pot and I'm waiting to see if it is alive  having doubts.

Beewitched I'm not just green I'm emerald in colour. I've tried from bought seed and haven't even germinated any.

If it wasn't for Punkdoc being able to grow them I'd say they don't like S.Yorks.

KEF
12/03/2014 at 09:55

Lizzie all your hard work paid off, you have a beautiful garden.

12/03/2014 at 10:20

lizzie your garden is breathtaking! kef and pd i'm in s yorks too...promised sun not here yet, little one didn't want to go to playgrou[p today so other screen has nursery rhymes on, good job you can't hear us singing away while i'm typing!

12/03/2014 at 10:25

KEF I don't have a ceanothus - that was just a picture from the internet!!  I have failed to grow ceanothus on two occasions.  Don't think the soil round here suits it.  I hope your mecanopsis fights back!  BusyLizzie your garden is just beautiful - so green and natural looking.  It has inspired me for when I go further into the 'wilderness'.  What I have so far is built from recycled stuff on 2 ft of solid iron ore, not green enough really. 

12/03/2014 at 20:33

Oh Lizzie, your garden is absolutely beautiful. Do you have an olde worlde stone house. I am so envious.

12/03/2014 at 22:46

Sorry, yes, lily. It's an old stone French farmhouse with beams. Like the garden, when we bought it in 1990, for what the English would think was a ridiculous price, it was in a state, burst pipes, mould growing like fur on the beams, filthy. Hadn't been lived in for 6 years and before that was a holiday home. But now it's lovely. Was a lot of work, but I was younger then, under 40 instead of 27!

13/03/2014 at 08:27

Gorgeous garden Lizzie  My garden is south facing too Louise......sorry 

13/03/2014 at 08:28

Sounds wonderful Lizzie, my OH wanted to move to France a few years ago, but I can't leave my boys. We have friends with a 2nd home in France, its lovely its 3 stories and also made of stone with beams and beautiful fireplaces. I don't think the garden is as big as yours but its very pretty. We have had a few holidays there, its always so peaceful there.

13/03/2014 at 21:22

I have French marigold babies, I know I that won't make you all envious as they are so easy to grow, but that's my only boast for the day and we should do at least one good thing a day 

13/03/2014 at 23:22

We got a brand new lawn mower today and I also manage to sneak in  8 plants too 

14/03/2014 at 09:01

Nice one Lily 

15/03/2014 at 06:55

tres bien that's all i can manage! i have a french brother in law but that's nothing to be envious of!! i hope my new eglanyne rose will be something to envy by summer , tracey i'm envious of you large garden with so much scope you're going to have so much fun over the next few years, sorry if you've already said have you recently moved?

26/04/2014 at 18:40

I'd like a belfast sink and would love a walled garden..........

26/04/2014 at 18:48

A walled garden, that would be great. Totally out of place here, but would love one.

26/04/2014 at 18:51

Yes I would love a walled garden, possibly full of sinks and troughs!

26/04/2014 at 18:53

I don't quite get the belfast sink thing for the garden.  We have a double Belfast sink in the kitchen - I get that - it's quite useful, but having them in the garden reminds me of the ghastly scav-man who lived next door when I was a kid.  He filled his garden to overflowing, with junk (including belfast sinks) and shouted abuse at the neighbours.  Rats moved in with him, he abused his wife and kids until they moved out. 

But a walled garden - oh yes.  I can just imagine all the weed seeds that fly through the air here hitting the wall and not getting in.  Just imagine, rows and rows of Victorian bricks and lime mortar, peach espaliers doing the air hostess dance across the south facing walls, grape vines in the long orangery, interspersed with bougainvillea and date palms, a trug next to the lavender, four different varieties of cabbage - some of them purple, companion planting, butterflies, a reclining cat, terracotta plant pots, the burble of Radio Four coming from the potting shed, a bed full of flowers for the house.  I've spent too many hours in NT gardens and watching costume dramas, haven't I!

101 to 120 of 131 messages