London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
121 to 131 of 131 messages
26/04/2014 at 21:04

I delivered to a huge Grade 1  listed building in Cornwall yesterday , and , on the way out, saW a white painted gate,, slightly ajar, into a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge walled garden:  THAT'S GOT ENVY WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.

27/04/2014 at 09:12

I bet they could afford the gardeners to tend to it too!

06/08/2014 at 08:38

It's been a while since any of us were envious, so I thought I'd resurrect ANOTHER of Verdun's threads 

I'm envious of two things at the moment.......pink bunting and accessories for the garden 

And being a lady of leisure, although Lily deserves it, I'm still envious and will probably have to wait about 20 years yet 

06/08/2014 at 08:56

Envy can be a good thing.....it can inspire us to achieve something.  Jealousy,however, is the big bad boy.  No cure for jealousy.  

I'm so envious of the guy I see in the mirror in the mornings......that handsome fellow. 

06/08/2014 at 09:06

I agree Verdun......don't do jealousy it just eats away at you 

I don't agree with the mirror thing though.....I don't think I'll ever be envious of who I see in the mirror each morning 

Another envy for me......Agapanthus.....but a trip to the local GC later might resolve that 

06/08/2014 at 09:52
Busy Bee2 wrote (see)

I don't quite get the belfast sink thing for the garden.  We have a double Belfast sink in the kitchen - I get that - it's quite useful, but having them in the garden reminds me of the ghastly scav-man who lived next door when I was a kid.  He filled his garden to overflowing, with junk (including belfast sinks) and shouted abuse at the neighbours.  Rats moved in with him, he abused his wife and kids until they moved out. 

But a walled garden - oh yes.  I can just imagine all the weed seeds that fly through the air here hitting the wall and not getting in.  Just imagine, rows and rows of Victorian bricks and lime mortar, peach espaliers doing the air hostess dance across the south facing walls, grape vines in the long orangery, interspersed with bougainvillea and date palms, a trug next to the lavender, four different varieties of cabbage - some of them purple, companion planting, butterflies, a  reclining cat, terracotta plant pots, the burble of Radio Four coming from the potting shed, a bed full of flowers for the house.  I've spent too many hours in NT gardens and watching costume dramas, haven't I!

Walled gardens     I'm with you there BusyBee2. Can never get enough when visiting places, living a dream!

06/08/2014 at 11:35

The garden I have used to be walled and very big but it was split up a long time ago.  I didnt get any of the walled bit next door has the wall on his left side and another bit of the wall is on the far side of the drive to my right god  knows where the bottom part is.  I have always wanted a walled garden so I am very envious of anyone who has.  Im also envious of anyone who has a large healthy honeysuckle near to their door.  I love the smell but can never seem to get one going. Oh and minton tiled hall floors.  I have a red and black clay tiled floor but a minton would be my ideal, Ill stop now even though I could go on all day.

06/08/2014 at 14:04

Verdun - do you have an intruder?? 

06/08/2014 at 16:27

Codswhollop fishy .........get it?  Good eh? 

06/08/2014 at 16:33

I am envious of Monty Don's watering can which is always full and his wheelbarrow which is always empty!

06/08/2014 at 17:13

Jealous of nothing , envious of lots. Envious of my neighbours brilliant red geraniums, loads of em and he doesn't even tend them. 

Envious of folk who look 'cool' whilst gardening, I always look like I've been in a fight with my hair standing on end and dirty hands n nails. But oh I'm so happy in my garden.

Brilliant thread Verdun.

email image
121 to 131 of 131 messages