Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

An observation.....

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

just been out a huntin'. image    

not many slugs and snails.  Not many out there but, golly, some big slugs.  I swear without a word of exaggeration that some slugs were 60 cm long and as thick as my wrist image. Swore one growled at me....or maybe it was my dog image

it seems to me that slugs and snails don't go for my purple foliage dahlia varieties....Twynings After Eight, The Bishop, Bishop's Children.  The green varieties are attacked though.  

so, my observation!  Is this your experience too folks?  

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

A 2ft long slug, must be a new alien species of slug. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

It's 'that time of year' for slugs - large examples of Arion rufus are out there on my lawn at the moment .......... in pairs imageimageimage

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,538

I work for a hippy that doesn't like killing things.....he keeps Guinea pigs....yesterday they had moved out their hutch as big monster slugs had moved into their hutch to eat their food!  Think I may be convincing hippy to kill slugs! image seriously as big as a large carrot!

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,538

As a newbie Verdun I don't know the names of everything I planted but yes can identify colour.... Burgundy dahlias not touched.....yellows are nibbled....could back up your theory

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

That is interesting Verdun - has anyone noticed whether slugs avoid red oakleaf lettuce and radicchio?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Well those big black or brown slugs are carnivorous!

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Can anybody tell me what the symbols mean after anybody puts a question or answer, I know this one, image and I think this is the opposite (:
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Thanks jo47,