London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
3 messages
11/07/2012 at 19:29

Hello...

Normally I place ant bait traps out for ants especially by my doors to stop them getting into the kitchen, and even this wet weather has not perturbed them as they are coming in their hundreds and attempting to get into the house!

But, the other day I moved my large terracota pot that contains our carrots and was almost sick with the amount of ants and eggs underneath it!

I quickly stepped out of the greenhouse to stop them crawling on me and went back later, but I was devastated to find the whole greenhouse absolutely swarming with flying ants! I was also sure that two sparrows flew out the open window as I approached so I opened the door and ran back into the house.

Within seconds the sparrows were flying in and out with mouthfuls of ants and I left them too it. Late in the evening I went back to investigate and the greenhouse was more or less clear though the normal ones were still all over my pepper, chilli and basil plants but I left them alone.

I just wondered what other peoples 'ant-experiences' were?

11/07/2012 at 20:56

Ants do fly at this time of year - they're off to pastures new. But it sounds like you had a nest below your carrots. In future, it might be an idea to move tubs regularly to prevent this happening again.

12/07/2012 at 07:14

And the ground is so wet this year the ants have had to find drier areas to build their nests, so they've moved into pots, walls, etc.

email image
3 messages