Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Any recomendations for a garden to visit

I am staying in Hayfield, Derbyshire on Saturday night having visited an elderly Aunt in Rochdale.  Does anyone know of any good gardens to visit in the area between Rochdale and Hayfield/Glossop?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Chatsworth?

The park and gardens are good at this time of year and not crowded.

• I did consider it, have been before so thought I'd see if there was anything else.  Thanks for your response

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

My NGS book does not have a good map, but in Derbyshire on Sunday;Bluebell Arboretum and Nursery, Annwell Lane, Smisby, Ashby de la Zouch LE65 2TA (B5006)

01530 413700   £3.00 entranceimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

...forgot to say, it is 9 acres, but NOT Bluebells, more woodland with rare trees and shrubs plus 'sensational Autumn colour'.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

The national trust has some gardens around these areas they are a bit cheaper than chatsworth.there is Haddon Hall but compared to t some NT gardens , it is only small.

Have you tried Google for ideas?

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

If you like nice views get yourself up to Frogget Edges, with a nice flask of coffee and some sarnies. You can park on the road side the follow the path for breath taking views. It's just near curbar. 

• Thanks everyone

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

hardwick hall is beautiful

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

ps we're not far either, lots of work to do here if you want to see one of Sheffield's smallest gardens and get shouted at by my  3 year old we'd love to see youi!!

• ChunkChunk Posts: 19

Silly answer as it is shut now until next year but Lea gardens is one of my favourites if you are up there again in spring.