London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 53 messages
25/02/2014 at 11:57

As I may have mentioned on half a dozen posts, I don't have a greenhouse.  This is because OH thinks they are ugly, and will only countenance the sort that costs about £10k, but won't produce the money for one.  So the plan was to build one, some time in the future (when pigs fly).  However, this morning I have found a normal one locally on Ebay and suggested that we could use it as a stand in until the fantasy greenhouse is built.  But like most greenhouses on Ebay, it is 'buyer to dismantle'.  Is this easy to do?  Do the pieces get small enough to get into the back of a Vauxhall Zafira?  Or does it require a van?  I am quite 'handy' and have fixed up a greenhouse we had in our old house. 

25/02/2014 at 12:40

Hi Busy Bee2 the last greenhouse i got secondhand from a girl i work with. I took out all the glass then dismantled the roof into two sides.Then dismantled the front & back and 2 sides into their 4 sections. Car with roof rack glass & small bits inside of car section's tied on top was only going 2 mile down the road. Steam cleaned the frame and washed all the glass will post a picture of it in it's new home cost my time only but gave the girl euros for her next holiday so both happy.

25/02/2014 at 12:42

Here's the photo Busy Bee2.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38262.jpg?width=314&height=350&mode=max

25/02/2014 at 13:18

Andy you've done a lovely job there - good as new!!  The seller got back to me and said it would be take-apartable down to sizes that would fit in the car - we don't have a roof rack.  OH will be counting the cost you see, and if I had to buy a roof rack or hire a van he would  not be pleased!!  And thank you for the tip about the steam cleaner - we have one of those and I do the windows with it, but it hadn't occurred to me it would be just the ticket to clean up frame and panes.  This one is only 10 minutes up the road, so well worth going for in my opinion - just hope the price doesn't rocket beyond OH's tolerance!!  Your greenhouse looks so exciting - like a blank sheet of paper.  Bet you're dying to fill it, if you haven't already

25/02/2014 at 13:47

go for it Busy you will have years of pleasure, well worth a bit of earache from OH 

Thats looking good Andy i hope you enjoy as much as i do

25/02/2014 at 13:55

Thanks Ann.  I am looking forward to that smell - the smell of hope and expectation!

25/02/2014 at 14:17

nothing quite like it Busy 

25/02/2014 at 14:40

Wow, Andy your greenhouse looks fab   I have a greenhouse, all packed up and waiting to be put up when we get a weekend with decent weather!

I don't want to be at all negative and I hope the greenhouse is suitable and ends up looking like Andy's, but just a couple of points - how old is it? Was it erected correctly to start with?

We have just taken down my old greenhouse, which was about 20 years old.  We were considering giving it away to someone who may need it, but that would have been impossible.  The glass was very brittle and the screws had all been shaved off or at least the screwdriver wouldn't work to unscrew the frame properly, so in the end my OH ended up sawing through the frame to take it to the tip.

I really do hope it works out for you and sorry to be negative, but wanted to be realistic.  I'll keep everything crossed that it is ok and not like our old one.  If it's any consolation, I waited over 3 years for my new greenhouse because we were busy doing the house up and I think OH still isn't overly pleased, especially knowing he needs to build my new one....I'm hoping he will see the benefits when he gets lovely fresh tomatoes in the summer

25/02/2014 at 14:55

Tracey, I will PM you the link and you can see what you think.  I imagine that if I got there and paid and then it was in the state yours was they would just give me the money back - people round here are very fair and honest.  We too are officially 'busy doing the house up!' and your OH sounds like mine - not the slightest bit interested in what I'm doing in the garden unless A. he thinks I am going to construct something wonky (he's a Virgo), or B. he can eat it, or C it involves grass.  I can't tempt him with tomatoes as he doesn't like them, or aubergines, or courgettes come to think of it.  But chillies and cucumbers, plus the chance of overwintering salad things should bring him round.  And failing that, if I leave a trail of compost round the house, on the windowsills, it will be easier to convince him that all 'that kind of thing' should happen in a greenhouse. 

25/02/2014 at 15:04

Ha Ha Busy, that description of your house and OH could be mine!!  Exactly the same (apart from the not liking tomatoes, aubergines or courgettes bit).  At the moment I have Sweet Peas in his precious garage and my potting bench in the garage, when he moans I just tell him it will all be tidy again soon!!  At weekend he will have chillies, aubergines and more sweet peas on the window sills.......until every window is filled LOL   I shouldn't moan though, he did Beagle proof my veg patch for me by making me a little picket fence around it

25/02/2014 at 15:16

Look for signs that they've tried to take it down before and given up. Then mask up the glass as much as you can - if it does slip and break either in the garden / car it'll help keep the bits together.

Do you have a friend with a small trailer / roof rack / van you could ask nicely to help you?

25/02/2014 at 15:20

Busy Bee2    I washed all the glass with hot soapy water by hand before i put it back in as the overlap of the glass was all green. That's my second greenhouse its 8x6 my other one is 10x8 and both well used the bigger one has heating the smaller one not. If am feeling well i can spend hours in them sowing seed or potting up some re-potting and doing cuttings. Here's photo of my other one for you to see after i built it last year.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38268.jpg?width=166&height=221&mode=max

25/02/2014 at 15:22

I have been eying up his pool table in the annexe - if I really need to convince him I could throw a plastic sheet over that and start positioning seedlings on it - what do you think?  Gets lots of light in there.  Our garage is too dark to be any use, except for overwintering tender things in the depths of winter.  My OH has M.E. so his energies are somewhat rationed, but it's very frustrating because he still has opinions on how I should do things.  Are they your beagles?

25/02/2014 at 15:26

I like your thinking Busy, we had a pool table but got rid of it so son #2 could put his drums there!!

Yes they are my Beagles, 2 of them

25/02/2014 at 15:27

Thanks Clarington - masking edges might also make it easier to carry/hold too, and I was wondering whether to number the panes so they would go back in the same positions - or maybe that's too OCD of me?  Andy, your greenhouse looks fab too - I am hoping to bid on a 10 x 8 one - will be such a let down if I'm outbid.  I plan to be in there for hours as well.  Am guessing I should take spanners and screwdrivers to dismantle, as well as masking tape and gloves?

25/02/2014 at 15:30

Yes all of those Busy and also some goggles/glasses if you have them in case a pane shatters and little bags to put the screws in

25/02/2014 at 15:31

loving the pool table idea Busy 

25/02/2014 at 15:51

I shall be wearing my glasses (sadly!) or the little screws will be a lost cause for a start!

25/02/2014 at 16:01

Have you any old bed sheets to take with you to wrap the glass in?

25/02/2014 at 16:19

Yes we do - somewhere in the garage - had a clear out of that sort of thing earlier this year, and kept a few back for dustsheets.  Also am a hoarder of sheets of that white stuff people pack things in (bit like cross between polythene and polystyrene) - mainly for popping round tender plants in bad weather, so will put that in.  I just know that I'm going to be all ready for this and someone will outbid me!!

1 to 20 of 53 messages