London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
29/04/2014 at 16:22

My garden is really infested with them they have killed a few nasturtium seedlings that germinated, my cestrum tomentosum is covered top to bottom in them and they are all over my Californian poppy seedlings. Sprayed them all with soapy water that seems to have done the trick but am going to keep a good eye on them. Something's eating my clematis leaves and stems on the young ones and cant figure out what it is also.

29/04/2014 at 16:29

What ate my young clematis, stems and leaves, were 5 snails

29/04/2014 at 17:42

I have a large population of aphids on one of my pyracanthas, but I know it won't harm the shrub as it's huge. I watched a hoverfly zooming around today and picking them off for a tasty snack.. teehhee. I haven't noticed anymore than normal though, but I have used the soapy water on some smaller plants. I expect snails/slugs are to blame for the clematis like Busy-Lizzie.

Just keep doing what your doing

29/04/2014 at 18:08

I thought it was just me who had a infestation of aphids. 

29/04/2014 at 18:12

Perki, have a warm sudsy bath - that'll get rid of them............

29/04/2014 at 18:28

Hahaha not literally me infested with aphids 

29/04/2014 at 18:38

Can't say I've noticed any more than usual.

29/04/2014 at 19:30

Move a few miles to Washington Cairnsie, I haven't many aphids at all this year but far more ladybirds than ever. Instead of my feeders being filled with peanuts I've used sunflower hearts. Currently half price at Wilkinsons. This has seemed to attract a lot more tits and green finches so I assume the aphids are being pecked up too.

29/04/2014 at 19:34

May have to try it out I have not spotted any ladybirds so far either

29/04/2014 at 19:43

Could I just add to this thread my recipe for making a very good, organic & effective aphid killer?

You'll need 1kg / 2.2lbs rhubarb leaves, 2 litres / 67 fl.oz water and a few drops of washing-up liquid.

Place the rhubarb leaves into a large pot, add the water.

Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes to half an hour.

Strain off the leaves (and dispose with) allow the liquid to cool, then add a few drops of washing-up liquid.

The solution should be diluted 1 part solution and 9 parts water; in other words, add 9 litres / 2.3 gallons water to create a spray.

This spray should not be stored but should be used within 24 hours to achieve the best effectiveness.

29/04/2014 at 19:56

Blooming heck David that must deal with a massive infestation glad it's not my garden!  I like the idea of this type of natural spray but I'd need to scale it down a bit! I wonder how it works? 

29/04/2014 at 20:22

spotted some green ones on the fuchsias in my greenhouse 

They duly got sprayed 

29/04/2014 at 20:49
Bilje wrote (see)

Blooming heck David that must deal with a massive infestation glad it's not my garden!  I like the idea of this type of natural spray but I'd need to scale it down a bit! I wonder how it works? 

Yes, of course, you'll need to scale it down a tad. Bilje.  It's extremely effective and kills other things, like caterpillars......the active poison is oxalic acid.

It's a contact spray, so will only kill those that it comes in contact with.....so you need to spray under the leaves too.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend its use on food crops. 

07/05/2014 at 21:02

They are very persistent and keep coming back i'm already onto my 3rd spraying of my plants at the minute but the spray is definitely killing them but more seem to return. Think I might have to mix a big vat David's industrial strength recipe to see them off finally

07/05/2014 at 22:11

They are very persistent too in my garden and GH in East Yorkshire. 

I'm having to check the under sides of each leaf on every plant in my GH as much as I can and promptly squish or spray depending on how angry I feel with them lol

07/05/2014 at 22:14

i have very little problem with greenfly ever, only on sick seedlings inside, and they always seem to die anyway. What would be the best thing for them?  On trying to mow my smallish amount of grass I lifted off 37 ladybirds first. Thinking about the saying about mice, 6 hidden for everyone seen, there must have been a massacre.  What do ladybirds eat if they don't get aphids? As I said I don't have any yet anyway.

07/05/2014 at 22:16

I've seen lots of ladybirds but they don't seem particularly interested in my Aphids, even after I have brought them to them! lol

07/05/2014 at 22:46

I haven't seen any aphids yet, I usually get ants farming them on the cherry blossom tree but not this year.

07/05/2014 at 23:36

..conflicting reports going on there... my garden is alive with aphids and I first noticed them on my roses as early as February this wet winter...I hose them off periodically...as long as you don't find one crawling across your pillow....then all is not too bad....

08/05/2014 at 07:39

If an infestation appears to be too much for our bluetits to cope with then I use fingers and/or a weak solution of Ecover washing up liquid sprayed on.  Seems to work here and no problem with using it on edible crops 

1 to 20 of 21 messages