London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
3 messages
21/09/2013 at 21:16

Good evening.

I need some advice. I have lived in this house for 6 years, their is a beautiful magnolia tree, which when blooms has stunning pink goblet flowers. Height is maybe 30 feet tall. approx 3 feet from the magnolia is an old apple tree, which is in the shade of the magnolia. Produce from the  apple tree is minimal to say the least, I think the best solution is to cut down the apple  tree and buy a smaller patio type which i could TRY to grow into a cordon.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

21/09/2013 at 22:31

I agree goldfinch2 - the apple will never do well planted that close to a mature Magnolia.  I guess whoever planted them didn't realise just how big some Magnolias can grow - a common oversight.  Modern grafted Magnolias are much more well behaved.  I grow a number of apple trees grafted onto dwarfing rootstock and they are very productive - there's a huge range of 'patio' fruit trees these days so you should be able to find something which will suit whichever way you wish to grow one.

27/09/2013 at 23:25

Thankyou  for the advice BobtheGardener,I  do feel guilty about cutting down an old apple tree, but i will just have to do it.

i have decided to get some  patio apple trees, maybe a pear tree also, not sure of cherries, i dont think they would do much-here in Manchester, uk.  

email image
3 messages