Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Apples and pears....

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Having learned from you kind people, the tree which I'd hoped was an apple, turns out to be a cherry plum, started me thinking about purchasing apple and pear tree's.

On the allotment we can only plant tree's from root stock M27 (very dwarfing) and M9 (dwarfing). Can anyone explain what this means, are tree's grafted on to the roots. The local GC has tree's on root stock M26!       

We have a local nursery where you can purchase the tree now and pick up in November for planting as bare root. There doesn't seem to be alot of choice though and when I asked the lady in the shop what root stock they were on she looked at me like I'd just broken into speaking manderin chineseimage.

I also have a Q about variety...any recommendations. I'd want self polinating tree's as there's only really room for a couple of tree's.

Also a Q about tree's or cordons. The nursery had a brambly which looked the right shape to grow as a cordon...am I right in thinking these can be trained up fences...

Thank you for replies in advance...  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Info here on rootstocks etc https://www.readsnursery.co.uk/a-description-of-rootstocks/  you'll also find info there about varieties, pollinators, cordons, espaliers etc. 

I find Reads a brilliant nursery, really good plants delivered promptly and in good condition.  I have no relationship with them other than as a very satisfied customer. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..apple trees are grafted onto a rootstock such as M9 or M27...M9 produces a tree eventually about 6-8 foot tall... this is the one I prefer for general usage in a smaller garden... it needs permanent staking... when planting a grafted apple you should plant it, in ground or container.. leaving the graft point 4 inches above the soil...

...cordons are supposed to be very productive, although I think I prefer the look of espalier or fan trained against fences...but you can put cordons there..you can even get mini cordons now...

...Reads nursery quoted above is supposed to be very good although I've not used them, as I find Chris Bowers to be a little cheaper, by a couple of pounds..I think the delivery charge is similar... but just as important I find they have a much greater choice of rootstocks...every type imaginable... I have not found that so with Reads...

....just to add...no connection to Bowers... but my trees ordered earlier this year from them arrived within 4 days I think... excellent service..although you will always find disappointed customers here and there..

...just an alternative for you, if you want.. for self fertile Red Falstaff is recommended...I'm growing Red Windsor...and have little apples on it already..I also find this site easy to get around and find what you want..but shop around by all means..

http://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/category/apples/