Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

apples

I have been keeping a few eating apples on the trees this year with the idea they might keep better than storing which I have not had much success. I had hoped for some at christmas they have survived the wind and not ready with a twist but we have eaten some really nice! Now today caught heavy frost will they have to be used now or will they still be ok if left ?

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I'd have 'em off.  If you want to keep them more than a week or three, wrap them individually in newspaper and store them on airy racks in the garage or somewhere mouse-proof.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

If they're still OK on the trees now, they'll easily keep in store till Christmas.  But do cut up and cook any damaged ones - then you can produce a home-grown apple pie/strudel/cake as an alternative to the pudding.  But if they're really nice eaters, it'd be a shame to cook them all.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I find that if I leave them on the trees the birds eat them.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • cheers all ok off they come today i'll leave one on each tree a bit longer maybe eat next week. i'll try storing in the porch no heating in there except sun but should be fine in shaded part.maybe construct a small meshed apple store in time for next year. need to declutter the shed!!.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'd say they'd be better off the trees too. The birds would have them here, or they would simply rot in the wet weather. Dry and air round them -not  touching each other - and not too hot a spot. They'll be fine.

Unless you want to give the birds a treat instead  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...