Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Are Morrisons bulbs any good ??

Have been looking at Morrison bulbs in my local store.  They are very cheap only £1 for a small bag so wondered if anyone has tried them.  They have all the summer flowering ones -  I was tempted by the spring flowering bulbs in there in the autumn but not tried any yet.

imageimage

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    I haven't tried bulbs but I have had a couple of shrubs over the years which did really well . image
  • Chances are they are cheap because they are last years spring flowering bulbs that are left over, which means its unlikely you would get any flowers from them this spring if they haven't been planted yet. Do you know what bulbs they are?

• That would be true if they are reduced. If it is the original price, then if Morrisons are willing to put their name to them they are probably of a certain quality. Reduced bulbs are, in my opinion, a good buy and a cheap way of stocking your garden; you just have to accept that they will flower next year and just recover from the late planting this year.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I think you will find they are summer flowering bulbs,I didnt see any dafs or tulips in there.  I buy most of my stuff in Morrisons they are fantastic plants and bulbs, Buy what you like with complete confidence. Their summer bedding are very good as well, if you haven't got time to grow your own seeds.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

The plants/bulbs in morrisons are less expensive IME.

Nothing wrong with them, just usually smaller bulbs cf than from other suppliers so they will flower ok, but may not have as many flower spikes as  the larger, more expensive bulbs.

BTW dont forget to ask in the flower section for their flower buckets- they sell packs of them for 99p. Very useful for all sorts. J.

• I think i will go in and stock up then - they sound ok - they had all the summer flowering bulbs incl lily which I love.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Plants in Morrisons are also a good deal - shrubs £2 each and perennials last year £3 for 2 I think.

• This forum is so good, it is helpful to get other gardeners feedback . 

• I've had great results from Morrisons, bulbs, seeds and perennials.

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

They also have little pots of Tete a Tete daffs for 50p at the mo. 3-4 bulbs in each. Those were my Valentines' card from OH. image J.