11 messages
26/03/2014 at 11:16

Hi all, I've had these since last summer - they are so good! they flowered all through the winter! and still going strong! I was wondering if they are some kind of daisy? (osteo spernum right?) and can I take cuttings from them? I'd love to grow more of them since they seem to do so well!

Many thanks in advance (since you are all so lovely and helpful on here!)

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40295.jpg?width=652&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40296.jpg?width=652&height=350&mode=max

Edd
26/03/2014 at 11:24

Yes. African daisy.

26/03/2014 at 11:35

cuttings off osteospermums take quite easily. the main problem is finding an unflowered shoot.  You might have to prune it a little, wait for new shoots and use them. It needs free draining compost, so mix MPC with 50% perlite or grit.

26/03/2014 at 13:17

ah that sounds excellent. Thank you! 

26/03/2014 at 15:17

Just cottoned onto this.  Yes, osteospermums but the more tender ones

I take cuttings in the autumn usually......got sizeable potted plants now.  It's not so easy to get non flowering shoots as every piece seems to have a flower bud.  So I take cuttings on otherwise suitable material and remove the buds.  Rooting is easy.....do it as fidget suggests with 50% perlite.

(I will also take cuttings soon from my potted plants and expect rapid rooting to make garden size flowering plants this summer)

Edd
26/03/2014 at 20:50

Thanks Verdun. I thought they were livingstone and looked so much like coneflower.

I want the green ones (coneflower) but they are far too expensive for me, unfortunately.

I need green plants for a rainbow border (obviously) the green section in the middle. 

Apart from hosters and and ferns i am struggling. Do you or anyone else have any ideas what to pit in for green. Its exactly 93cm for each colour ( facing on) and 125cm to the back fence that is 1000cm tall. I am having individual coloured (sweet pea) along the wall. Obviously red /orange /yellow/green/blue/indigo and  violet, with white at the top end. 

I do not think orange and yellow sweet peas exist! do they.

Anyhow there are so much to put into a first (rainbow border). I am trying to do it for free this year but must admit i bought a jar of instant coffee for the slugs. (pound shop) 50p as it had a crack in the jar!!!!!!!!!

26/03/2014 at 21:19

Edd, green tulips, green hellebores including Corsicus, green envy echinacea but what about green coleus?  I had some fantastically coloured green ones last year. 

Edd
26/03/2014 at 22:26

The green envy echinacea are very much like coneflower! Green Tulips make my mind boggle and will look them up along with green coleus. OH looked at seed for the last one today and i was quit intrigued. 

Thanks very much for the options. 

I forgot to say i would like to go from ground (at the front to 2m with sweet pea at the back fence. Most are free annuals and i have no idea how it will turn out but i like the concept, for one year.

Regards

Edd.

PS. most of the free seed are mixed colours so i will just have to plant and see. But i like that idea. 

11/04/2014 at 22:29

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42114.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Yours are really nice colours . I've got a white one; mines doing great as well!

14/04/2014 at 11:12

they seem to be some kind of super flower. I had some of that colour too but they gave in over winter unfortunately. very pretty though! 

15/04/2014 at 10:20

I know... they're so nice

email image
11 messages