London (change)
Today 18°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
6 messages
19/06/2014 at 22:48

Yes.  Rather than being bored by football on the telly.  I don't totally dislike the game, but!

Anyway seated comfortibly in the armchair, and I was away.  Sissinghurst Castle in Kent.  Managed by the National Trust.  My guide was. Tom Petherick.  We toured the fantastic garden.  Then having been introduced to many of the plants, plus gaining insight to the growing requirements etc.  Then we met up with Alexis, the head gardener.  Believe me.  It was well worth the visit.  Chat etc with people who knew what they were talking about.  Something you don't get at Chelsea etc.  There are some good tips on rose growing etc.  The DVD runs for just an hour, but IMO an hour well spent.

20/06/2014 at 06:56

Sounds like an hour well spent, Mike. Glad you seem to be feeling more cheerful. Hope the waterworks are improving!

20/06/2014 at 07:04

I went there for real a few weeks ago, it was beautiful, but to be honest the crowds of people also there made it very difficult to enjoy it fully. I think watching it on a DVD is a far better way to see it properly!

Lyn
20/06/2014 at 10:29

I used to live close to Sissinghurst and visited every couple of weeks, marvelous when you can see the changing seasons.

21/06/2014 at 09:30

I try to get to Sissinghurst a cpl of times a year but your right (especially in spring and summer) the crowds are just too much and can spoil the whole thing - get there really early (the gardens open later than the estate for some reason but they tend to let you in before the official opening time) the lights better anyway 

In fact I was really impressed by how Highgrove manages this by having timed entry slots and small groups. Then again though Sissinghurst is free for members - Highgroves only free for "the" family members though I have to say its worth every penny - When you think what a concert or play tkt costs these days..

Lyn
21/06/2014 at 14:08

Unfortunately for some but if the crowds werent there, none of us would be.

email image
6 messages