Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Asparagus New Shoots

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

I have planted 5 asparagus slips

Dug a trench and created a rideg and laid them over the ridge so they spread out sideways about 4 foot in total

? Should the new growth only appear from the centre of the slips on the rideg OR can they appear any where along the roots

Its because I want to how the bed

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

I wouldn't risk hoeing until the plants have revealed where they're going to surface. Best just weed by hand at first.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I agree.  Mulching with a weed-seed-free compost (such as a commercial bagged one) is the best way to suppress weeds in an asparagus bed, then no hoeing is required. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

Does anyone know the answer please

? Should the new growth only appear from the centre of the slips on the ridge OR can they appear any where along the roots

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    NewBoy, why does it matter? Hand weeding is usually the best option for asparagus beds or apply a mulch. Hoeing is usually a no-no.

Welshonion............its only for my personal knowledge

I have had my allotment for just over 3 years know and I am interested in increasing my knowledge mainly because people have started turning to me for advice...scary

We get a new couple every month starting a plot and I like to be as helpful as possible

No you are correct in the scheme of things it does not matter and thank you for your help

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    The asparagus grows from the crown. The crown expands over time. The asparagus don't always come up straight, that's why hand-weeding is recommended.

Diolch yn fawr

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

NB2 My Dad used to say that and a few other things which he wouldn't translate. image. They came in handy when I got bullied at school in Somerset

I was born and raised in Taunton and I turned out KO !!

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

imageimage