Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Astrantia major

Hello everyone,

I planted some Astrantia major 'ruby wedding' last year, they weren't very large plants, though they each had about 8 flowers on. 

I know they're perennials, but there is absolutely no sign of them! other perennials nearby like lupins and ice plant are showing signs of growth but not my astrantia!

Does anyone else grow astrantia? When does it show signs of regrowth? Am I too impatient!?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Idon't think mine are showing but  I'll have a look tomorrow

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

No, mine are definetely not showing. I was weeding near where one of my clumps is and there were no leaves, so dont worry.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I have complete failure with astrantia both plants, bought seeds and seeds given to me by friends.  I would love to grow them but they don't like me.image

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

My Astrantia isnt showing yet either so no worries image

• Thanks everyone, I'll just have a wait a bit, fingers crossed!

I collected seed from them last autumn and that's all germinated on my window sill, so at least I've got something to put back if they have died.

thanks all.

• Mines not growing yet i had a look earlyer when i toped the wood chip up

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Verdun -

Planted in dappled shade at the bottom of the garden that is nearly always damp.  The borders are fed with garden compost and blood fish and bone so I think I'm doing it right.  There are mixed hedges and trees there so maybe that is the problem as it could be too shady.  I don't want to give up really, as I think they are such stylish plants.image

• I have a few shoots appearing on mine as well but they are still in their pots!!