London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 56 messages
03/02/2014 at 15:25

Hello everyone,

I planted some Astrantia major 'ruby wedding' last year, they weren't very large plants, though they each had about 8 flowers on. 

I know they're perennials, but there is absolutely no sign of them! other perennials nearby like lupins and ice plant are showing signs of growth but not my astrantia!

Does anyone else grow astrantia? When does it show signs of regrowth? Am I too impatient!?

03/02/2014 at 16:25

Idon't think mine are showing but  I'll have a look tomorrow

03/02/2014 at 16:44

No, mine are definetely not showing. I was weeding near where one of my clumps is and there were no leaves, so dont worry.

03/02/2014 at 17:33

Bit early really.

Can I show off?  New growth coming on some of mine but I am in sunny cornwall.....er wet Cornwall 

All will come In time.  That's the beauty of gardening.  Day by day now new growth will be appearing 

03/02/2014 at 17:48

I have complete failure with astrantia both plants, bought seeds and seeds given to me by friends.  I would love to grow them but they don't like me.

03/02/2014 at 17:55

My Astrantia isnt showing yet either so no worries

03/02/2014 at 18:19

Forester,

Dry soils are fatal to astrantias.  So, did you plant them in dry poor soil?   Try in partial shade with some moisture and some dried manure, chicken pellets incorporated.  Astrantias can supply flowers for a very lomg time so worth some effort.

03/02/2014 at 18:45

Thanks everyone, I'll just have a wait a bit, fingers crossed!

I collected seed from them last autumn and that's all germinated on my window sill, so at least I've got something to put back if they have died.

thanks all.

03/02/2014 at 20:40

Mines not growing yet i had a look earlyer when i toped the wood chip up

03/02/2014 at 21:27

Verdun -

Planted in dappled shade at the bottom of the garden that is nearly always damp.  The borders are fed with garden compost and blood fish and bone so I think I'm doing it right.  There are mixed hedges and trees there so maybe that is the problem as it could be too shady.  I don't want to give up really, as I think they are such stylish plants.

03/02/2014 at 21:29

I have a few shoots appearing on mine as well but they are still in their pots!!

03/02/2014 at 23:24

Oh I'm surprised forester.  Only times I've seen them fail is on dry poor soils.  Perhaps you are right....maybe just a bit too shady.  Mine are actually in sun....most of my garden is sunny....but in good soil.  How about dividing a plant....I simply slice up with spade.....and try in more open position.?  I often try plants in different positions, sometimes just slightly removed, and the difference can be surprising.

04/02/2014 at 08:08

Verdun - I don't have a plant to divide!  They just don't survive and NONE of the seeds ever germinate either in the soil or in my mini greenhouse - it's unbelievable.  I must be jinxed or something.  I have been trying now for about 4 years.  I plan to buy a plant this year and perhaps as you say try a sunnier spot.  Fingers crossed.

04/02/2014 at 08:13

mine not showing, got some seeds from friends garden was going to plant later this month in pots when i plant sweet peas, got some snapdragon seed too from same garden, v much hoping thay all work, too poor to buy many plants!

04/02/2014 at 08:35

Louise, Astrantia are best sown fresh and kept cold, but do it now and hope we get some cold weather

04/02/2014 at 08:38

I think astrantia like a period of cold before they grow. Have you over watered them maybe try another compost

04/02/2014 at 08:44

Wouldn't it be great if we could all share our surpluses.  I regularly divide plants, for example, and it's nice to give excess away.

Forester, I suggest you buy another and plant it in more sun.....mix some compost, dried manure ( this can be quite strong so not too much of it) in early spring.  Keep,it well watered.  Actually, I would keep it in a pot until new shoots are seen and then plant out.  Good luck 

04/02/2014 at 09:49

thanks nutcutlet, i didn't get chance to plant last sept when i got seed, i'll try sowing in pots and leave outside then

04/02/2014 at 10:18

Mine self seed to the point of invasion, and this in an open sunny position, though well mulched with bark chippings.

I find they die back to nothing, and are late to show growth - I always think they've died, but they've never let me down in 7 or so years. Mine seemed to need plenty of watering to avoid wilting in the first couple of years, but after that they can really establish.

04/02/2014 at 10:56

Too dry for them here really, but if they get the best patches of soil, they do OK

1 to 20 of 56 messages