London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 20°C
11 messages
21/02/2014 at 20:35

Having young children I don't get out in the garden half as much as I like.  I look longing out the windows somedays whilst keeping those eyes in the back of my head on my children. 

When I manage to get out there for the odd hour or two every once in a while, it always ends up with lots of questions for the GW forum 

I had a really nice evening yesterday going back through all my posts and reminding myself of all your comments, and have made plans for parts of the garden that I still have to work on.  It will take years, but I'm so pleased I have all these posts which help me learn so much, so just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts on this forum.  You're experience is invaluable and I'm looking forward to learning more with every post I put up, and by reading other people's posts.  Thank you. 

21/02/2014 at 20:44

Lovely post Peanuts. You're right - there are lots of lovely people on here and they give a great deal more than just gardening advice.

I can vouch for that personally. 

21/02/2014 at 21:02

Lovely to know you are enjoying it Peanuts - i do too.  I don't have many friends who are into gardening, so this site gives me a way of chatting about it to others that are interested too.  So many new ideas, and so much advice, i have learnt so much by   joining in.

and as the little ones get bigger, you will get more time to potter out there - mine are now teenagers, and i can't work out how all those years flew by

21/02/2014 at 21:17

Ah, the days of little kids and trying to make a garden. I remember it well

21/02/2014 at 21:45

What a nice post peanuts.

21/02/2014 at 22:34

the day I think I know it all, is the day to screw down the lid on my coffin. We all learn every day. Nobody knows it all. That's part of the joy of gardening. We all have something we can impart, but something too about which we need to ask for help.

22/02/2014 at 10:46

Children and gardening!  I tried to interest my son in the garden when he was about four, and failed.  He is infamously impatient about everything in life, and the patience required to wait for seeds to germinate was more than he could cope with.  He is now 15, and I still can't persuade him there is anything of interest in the garden, beyond the trampoline and the lawn for football, etc.  Our foster children are interested, and the little girl particularly has patience and empathy with plants.  It is very nice to work alongside them, but only one at a time - I can't stand having both of them out there because the one you are not watching will always start investigating the possibilities of something you'd rather they left alone.  So we have the 'one assistant at a time' rule.  It will get easier as they get older, and like Chicky, I can't believe how time has flown. 

22/02/2014 at 10:53

I remember my son coming in very proud of himself - he'd pulled up all those 'dead plants' and put them on his dad's bonfire - well, that was the end of the blackcurrant bushes then 

When he was older and responsible for mowing the lawn for his pocket money he mowed the asparagus bed 

Gardening's never been his forté, but he does like to try 

22/02/2014 at 11:14

Dove, my son's ambition is to live in a flat! 

22/02/2014 at 11:16

Chuckle 

22/02/2014 at 11:30

When I was a child I 'helpfully' picked all the green plums from the tree to help the tree with June Drop, I think I was 5 and had heard Daddy talk about.  I got whacked for that, but my Dad then started to teach me about gardening matters!   

I know what to leave alone now, and a lot of my info is thanks to this website and the helpful answers.  Mags

email image
11 messages