London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
4 messages
05/08/2013 at 16:56

a big hello to you all . Id like to know how baby apples are appearing in my garden when i have no apple tree , and like wise , have a pear tree and all the baby pears vanished offf my tree with none on the ground .I'm baffled  . thankyou , granny 

05/08/2013 at 21:04

Sorry to have left you in limbo, granny. As you can tell, the forum is up the creek just now and nobody seems to know what is wrong with it. Normal service will be resumed as soon as somebody works that out.

In the meantime, do you have squirrels in your area? The little blighters pinch our pears before they are even half grown. As for the apples, maybe they have been brought in by birds?

I remember once seeing a medieval manuscript with an illumination in the margin showing a hedgehog rolling over fallen apples and spiking them onto its spines. The text explained that they did this then straightened up and walked off with them to store somewhere else. Who knows, maybe it's true?!

05/08/2013 at 22:32

Squirrels pinched all my apples, pears and plums last year.

This year I read somewhere that they don't like the smell of soap, so I have hung little mesh bags of  the smelliest soap I could find in the trees.  So far, so good ..... although I am nervous posting this in case I am tempting fate. Do you think squirrels log in to the forum??

06/08/2013 at 06:58
chicky wrote (see)

.... Do you think squirrels log in to the forum??

More than likely - they can do virtually everything else - including shinning up squirrel-proof bird feeders 

email image
4 messages