Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bamboo canes

Hello All

At this time of year I am getting my bamboo canes ready for my runner beans and as usual, every year I have to buy  more to make up for the reduced length due to the ends rotting. They only seem to last about 2 years full length before I have to remove a foot or so to make them strong enough to push into the ground. Very annoying.

So my question is, does anyone have a tried and tested remedy for prolonging their life?  I usually remove them during my autumn tidy up as soon as the crop has finished so it's not as if they are left in the ground over wet winters. This year I thought I might buy the longest length I can find so that if I do have to chop them, they would last a bit longer. I found the green painted metal ones I bought for my sweet peas a few years ago were a complete waste of money as the coating peeled off in no time at all.

Does anyone perhaps dip them in a solution or paint them or something?

Thanks

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Mad51, I am really puzzled by this; some of my bamboo canes are 8 years old and not one has rotted! The 8' long ones are still 8' longimage Where are you keeping them in the winter?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I  don't have problems with bamboo canes rotting either - I've had some of mine for years and years, probably since 2000 or around then. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hiya

Thanks for replying - been on granny duty since posting this yesterday.

I generally keep them either lying flat on the ground at the back of my allotment or along some brackets my husband has put on the back of the workshop. They become brittle and snap easily.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

They have to be kept under cover, such as in a shed.  Do not leave them on the ground.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I don't have space to keep mine under cover, but they are wiped clean of soil, bundled and stacked with their bottoms off the ground and stacked in an airy corner where wet won't accumulate - as I said, they last for years. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I bundle them according to size, put some garden wire around them and stack them in a huge old plastic flower pot with stones in the base so it doesn't blow over and they lean against a wall; the important thing is that the flower pot has holes in the base so water doesn't stay there. the very long ones are again bundled and tied and rest horizontally on a ledge above ground level in a sheltered area. None of them are indoors.image

• Thanks everyone.  Feel as if I have been a naughty girl to neglect themimage  I shall definitely take more care from now on and give them more TLC after using them. In addition at home, looks as if the best solution would be to beg OH if I can have some rafter space in his garage to keep the the long canes.

Great. Problem solved!  image

• Sprig2Sprig2 Posts: 74

Or if he will not give you space in the garage why not find a piece of plastic downpipe and cut to size. You can then put them in there when not in use and maybe tape up the ends to keep it dry inside.