Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

bananas from seed

fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I have planted three different types of banana from seed. They were in a propagator, but now just in the polytunnel. Not one has germinated. Seeds from T&M. Yes I succumbed again. Anybody got any tips. The seeds have not rotted off, they still seem firm.

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

Just athought but was the propagator heated, in St Lucia where they grow easily the average temp is about 25-27 I think, just an idea to get them to germinate, however it might also cook them image Very interesting idea image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I thought the propagator seemed too hot. I took them out after six weeks.

Im not keeping the electrickery on for six months. Solar heat will have to suffice. Its probably cheaper to buy plants.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Did you chit the seeds before sowing?

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Tried them once as an experiment and had the same lack of results.  I eventually cut the (still hard) seeds open and judging by the smell they had rotted inside.  Thinking about it now I'm not sure I actually want the hassle of looking after them over the winter anyway! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

I soaked the seeds for a couple of days before sowing, as per instructions.