London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
15 messages
01/08/2014 at 20:47

Today we've been to local garden centre. What A stroke of luck we went today. Loads of bargains And I don't mean straggly half dead looking things either. I spent £31 and had a 3' x  18" wide Bay. Beautiful condition. £6. Variegated holly, small bush £4. A ginkgo something £4 a New Zealand shrub Dragons gold Sophora £4 a Pachysandra £4 and a couple with no labels. I'm delighted as I'm doing a small area to cover with pebbles and these will do just fine In there. I hope you all don't mind me telling you this as you are my only 'sharing gardening friends' and I am so thrilled with my bargains. 

01/08/2014 at 20:49

Glad you did well, I went to 2 nurseries/ gc's the other day, the 1 I really wanted to go to wax closed, the other had rubbish looking plants and no bargains! 

01/08/2014 at 20:50

I'm going shopping with you next time Runnybeak 

01/08/2014 at 20:54

Can't beat a bargain Runnybeak!  I got a couple of clematis last year at my local GC - £4 each. Both are doing very nicely.

Pachysandra is a very nice plant  - I put one in a shady narrow border  last summer, right beside the back gate. It's covered in buds just now - nice little white flowers. Quite understated, but  a great plant for underneath a specimen tree or just as good ground cover. An underrated little shrub I think. 

01/08/2014 at 21:01

One of our local garden centres has an area for reduced plants.  They are simply past their flowering period but in great condition, as are all their plants.

01/08/2014 at 21:04

Ours has a similar area, but at this time of year it usually contains  sad looking parched and dying plants 

01/08/2014 at 21:30

Yes I did well on my last visit too - a clematis armandii for £4, lots of reduced perennials and a magnolia stellata for a fiver. I'm going back again tomorrow to stock up - still have a lot of border to fill!

All were in great condition bar a bit pot bound. Our local garden centre seems to have half its stock on 50% off - wonder if they have struggled a bit with sales this year? 

01/08/2014 at 21:36

Oh runny break sound like you had a well good shopping trip and hope you share with us pics when all planted up in The pebbles 

01/08/2014 at 21:43
The Country Gardens chain currently have most of their shrubs at half price! I think their website also has some good bargains, www.thegardencentregroup.co.uk
01/08/2014 at 21:51

Yea, usually bargains are half dead,but I asked a nurseryman there why there were such good bargains and he just said " making way for new stock simply having a clear out". Lucky me. BEAUS MUM. I would love to post pics but don't know how to ( told you all I am a dinosaur) I have an iPad Air and a 3GS phone, no computer so I don't think I can, can I ?  

01/08/2014 at 22:04

Oh runny break the lovely Victoria sponge has done a "how to upload pis on an ipad " tonight, do you know how to find the new discussions list? Just click on it and you will see it in the list 

Let me know if you can't find it x

01/08/2014 at 22:52

BEAUS MUM. Thanks for bringing VS post to my attention. I will have a bash at it over weekend. I won't hold my breath but I'll have a good go. Thanks again. 

01/08/2014 at 23:18

Good luck x

02/08/2014 at 06:23

i love a bargain plant... have a couple of clematis i got for £1 or so each... now with a bit of TLC flowering well for their size. have stocked most of what once was a jungle of a shared (i.e. no one gives a hoot about) garden. hibiscus and raspberries from lidl for a few pounds each, lots of discounted shrubs and perennials from garden sections of well known DIY stores.

02/08/2014 at 08:14

STHINDNGROWER well done you with your bargains.  won't be posting today as we are going on a 'canal cruise' . Yes I know in this weather, hope it stops raining at least. Let you know how it went tomorrow. 

email image
15 messages