Start a new thread

1 to 15 of 15 replies

Today we've been to local garden centre. What A stroke of luck we went today. Loads of bargains And I don't mean straggly half dead looking things either. I spent £31 and had a 3' x  18" wide Bay. Beautiful condition. £6. Variegated holly, small bush £4. A ginkgo something £4 a New Zealand shrub Dragons gold Sophora £4 a Pachysandra £4 and a couple with no labels. I'm delighted as I'm doing a small area to cover with pebbles and these will do just fine In there. I hope you all don't mind me telling you this as you are my only 'sharing gardening friends' and I am so thrilled with my bargains. 

Glad you did well, I went to 2 nurseries/ gc's the other day, the 1 I really wanted to go to wax closed, the other had rubbish looking plants and no bargains! 

I'm going shopping with you next time Runnybeak 

Can't beat a bargain Runnybeak!  I got a couple of clematis last year at my local GC - £4 each. Both are doing very nicely.

Pachysandra is a very nice plant  - I put one in a shady narrow border  last summer, right beside the back gate. It's covered in buds just now - nice little white flowers. Quite understated, but  a great plant for underneath a specimen tree or just as good ground cover. An underrated little shrub I think. 

One of our local garden centres has an area for reduced plants.  They are simply past their flowering period but in great condition, as are all their plants.

Ours has a similar area, but at this time of year it usually contains  sad looking parched and dying plants 

Yes I did well on my last visit too - a clematis armandii for £4, lots of reduced perennials and a magnolia stellata for a fiver. I'm going back again tomorrow to stock up - still have a lot of border to fill!

All were in great condition bar a bit pot bound. Our local garden centre seems to have half its stock on 50% off - wonder if they have struggled a bit with sales this year? 

Beaus Mum

Oh runny break sound like you had a well good shopping trip and hope you share with us pics when all planted up in The pebbles 

The Country Gardens chain currently have most of their shrubs at half price! I think their website also has some good bargains,

Yea, usually bargains are half dead,but I asked a nurseryman there why there were such good bargains and he just said " making way for new stock simply having a clear out". Lucky me. BEAUS MUM. I would love to post pics but don't know how to ( told you all I am a dinosaur) I have an iPad Air and a 3GS phone, no computer so I don't think I can, can I ?  

Beaus Mum

Oh runny break the lovely Victoria sponge has done a "how to upload pis on an ipad " tonight, do you know how to find the new discussions list? Just click on it and you will see it in the list 

Let me know if you can't find it x

BEAUS MUM. Thanks for bringing VS post to my attention. I will have a bash at it over weekend. I won't hold my breath but I'll have a good go. Thanks again. 

i love a bargain plant... have a couple of clematis i got for £1 or so each... now with a bit of TLC flowering well for their size. have stocked most of what once was a jungle of a shared (i.e. no one gives a hoot about) garden. hibiscus and raspberries from lidl for a few pounds each, lots of discounted shrubs and perennials from garden sections of well known DIY stores.

STHINDNGROWER well done you with your bargains.  won't be posting today as we are going on a 'canal cruise' . Yes I know in this weather, hope it stops raining at least. Let you know how it went tomorrow.