Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bee Hotel

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

I have fixed one to my garden fence which has about 30 cut up bamboo poles in it each about 6 inches long

Several have been blocked off with what looks like soil of differeing colours

I have seen several different types of bees using it possibly brown banded carder bee or a leafcutter bee

? What do the bees and other bugs use it for

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Lots of info here image http://www.foxleas.com/bee_house.htm 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

First and best as always

• 20th november 2914

I saw several bees this morning while I was waiting for a bus 'they possibly came from around a tree I was standing near last week I took a picture of a bee in the my sage bush. This seems very late  I'm hoping that they will take shelter in the \bug Hotel in my garden

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

My box seems to have had half the tubes opened in October which I dont think is the time that bees come out

Perhaps there is another reason for the exit

There are 5 tubes still blocked up and I hope to catch the bees when they emerge in Sprint Time

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I wrote a Paper on the brick kilns of Dorset so spent a lot of time looking at brick constructions of all kinds.  The nearest brickyard was part of the Frampton estate and the garden walls were constructed prior to 1830.  Riddled with holes and many have weathered as a result but if you look closely you can still see the original hole inside those pits.  One of my favourite finds

• There is a beautiful wall, sounds strange but the structure of an old wall I think is fascinating

Yes indeed.  Handmade bricks are a delight.  You can see the difference on the outside as well as inside. 

The top photo is a broken brick from an old farmyard complex in West Knighton, the wall is around a farmhouse garden in Huish.  Both are made from the clay on which Broadmayne bricks are made.  The broken brick was made about 100 years before the wall bricks.  Best Broadmayne bricks are 'famous' throughout Dorset and readily recognisable by the black carbonaceous bits in them (also very expensive). Production ceased really with WW2 when all kilns were closed down.  By the time they could reopen, mechanisation was coming in fast especially around the eastern counties and hand made bricks could no longer compete.  Still possible to get hand made bricks in Dorset though, Swanage Brick works still make 'em and it's a positive pleasure to watch the process.