Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bees and Butterflies

DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

I read in today's newspaper that Bees and Butterflies are doing much better this summer and their numbers are up. Perhaps we blame ourselves too much when there is a decline as the weather seems to have a lot to do with it. I certainly have seen lots of bees and some butterflies around though like other people, no ladybirds. I think these were killed off by our atrocious spring when they woke up from hibernation. Of course it is no bad thing to cut down on sprays and grow suitable plants for insects but it is heartening to know that Mother Nature gives a helping hand now and again when needed.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

when I was up on the mendips the other week,I saw mass of black butterflies more than I have seen for ages and some more common types and a massive dragonfly.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Last year was awful, this year is not good. I haven't seen any blue butterflies, a fraction of the number of other species we were seeing a few years ago. very few dragonflies and far fewer damsel flies. It's not all down to our poisons, there's loss of habitat and weather. Our use of poisons is one thing we can alter though.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I've seen lots of bees and butterflies this year - but complete absence of ladybirds.

Yes, very poor for ladybirds here

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I had aphids on the teasels, then the ladybirds arrived, and now no aphids and the ladybirds have moved on.The bees are loving the teasels now, as they have started flowering.image

I seem to have mainly white butterflies this year so far. Mostly under the net protecting the cabbage from pigeons.image

• We spent the day at Minehead yesterday and walked some of the cliff path

near the golf links there.  We couldn't believe the number of bees and

butterflies there - it was truly amazing and we saw varieties we never see

here on the South coast.  Some of the vegetation there was very different

to what we see here, so I expect that is the reason.

flowersforbees I've PMd ypu

• Ladybirds may have been late in hatching.  See this article from this site's home page.