London (change)
Wed 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
13 messages
01/07/2013 at 20:11

hi everyone ive just joined,ive not been gardening for long really only about a year. my garden isnt very big but my daughter and i have planted sum pretty flowers and are learning as we go along. i was wandering if anyone could recommend any books i could buy for my daughter,shes 10 and finds i difficult understanding some of the books i have so id like to get her sum more for her age if there are any?? thanks x

KEF
01/07/2013 at 20:16

Welcome Sarah & daughter, I can't help with books, but I'm sure someone one here will answer you. Wise & nice people on this forum.

01/07/2013 at 20:19

Welcome Sara and daughter.  Glad to have you here.  

The Hessayon expert books ....written by doctor Hessayon.....are excellent for first timers.  Pictures and brief descriptions.  Books on lawns, perennials, shrubs etc.

Bigger....more expensive but very comprehensive reference book you yourself,might like that I use all the time....is the Readers Digest encyclopaedia of garden plants and flowers.  

It's great your 10 year old is into gardenIng

I'm sure others here will be able to suggest better books for your daughter.  Good luck and happy gardenIng to you both

01/07/2013 at 20:20

hi there thanks my daughter is Hannah lookin forward to getting sum good advice

KEF
01/07/2013 at 20:23

I still have my collection of Hessayon books, they were brill when I first started again with veg'. Must admit I like glossy pictures of plants & flowers especially after getting reading glasses.

01/07/2013 at 20:26

thanks verdun,ive got the RHS encylopedia of gardening and a few others but i'll take a look at your suggestion. i read Monty Dons article in Gardeners world today saying not many children are into gardening,hannah did an after school gardening club and really enjoyed it and now its sumthin we love doing together

01/07/2013 at 20:28

Well, welcome Hannah.  Maybe see you presenting Gardeners World on the tele in a few years

01/07/2013 at 20:29

A colleague with young children recommends a book called 'Gardening with Kids' but she can't remember who it's by - she said it has projects in it and her daughter loves it - I've loved gardening since I was 3 or 4  - all my early memories are to do with gardens 

01/07/2013 at 20:56

i used to help my dad with his gardens wen i was younger,he grew lots of veg and i loved watchin it grow from a seed or small plant into somethin yummy to eat . i'll look the book up thanks 

01/07/2013 at 22:24

The future ability of the world to feed itself tomorrow depends on todays kids being interested in gardening and all the things that go with it. More bees.

01/07/2013 at 22:39

I had my first greenhouse when I was 10. I used to read my grandmothers Amateur Gardening and Popular gardening magazines , which she had delivered every week and she would save for me. I inherited her Readers Digest book after she died

I used to be allowed into the adult section of the local  library, so long as I didn't go near the fiction section.

Kids are sponges at that age, soaking up all the knowledge they can. Botany of plants may be beyond her, but just taking what she can from adult books is a good basis for science studies at school.

I would recommend starting to grow things like annuals that complete the cycle in one season.  A tomato plant in a pot, with her responsible for watering, teaches responsibility. If she forgets to water it, it dies. If she nurtures it she gets nice tomatoes to eat.

02/07/2013 at 03:33

Hi,

Have you seen Mr Bloom's Nursery on CBeebies? It's a bit young for your daughter, but very enjoyable and comes with actual gardening lessons. I also watched the Beechgrove garden and Gardener's World on tv when I was your daughter's age. I found the tv programmes much more accessible than books at that age and soaked up a load of information from them. Beechgrove is particularly good for accessible, step-by-step gardening lessons. I ended up doing a botany degree, so it must have worked. Good luck with your gardening!

Jen

02/07/2013 at 06:26

On the subject of kids gardening, my son who is now 18 was always keen on growing things in the garden when he was little. When he started growing up and other things became more interesting he stopped being interested in the garden, but now we have a house with a large garden and when he's around he shows a keen interest in the garden and what we are growing and harvesting (doesn't doing any digging though!).  So what I'm saying is even if kids 'go off the boil' in the teenage years I think if an interest in the garden and growing is nurtured at a young age it stays with you for the rest of you life, and that can't be a bad thing can it?

email image
13 messages