Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Being disabled does not mean incapable

Hello you budding gardeners, image

Is any body out there like me who gardens from a wheelchair, lets here from you

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Think everyone's out in their gardens Chris -  enjoying the weather image 

I'm only in because I've been cleaning and ironing so that I can go out after some lunch!

Do you have raised beds to make it easier? I always think the ones shown on tv programmes look far too low to be really functional.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Chris 25Chris 25 Posts: 50

I have on raised bed, most is pots tubs, wall and fence hangers troughs and 18 hanging baskets  and a large rose bed and a greenhouse which i spend hours in

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Chris, I'd grow more in my GH and spent more time in there myself if it wasn't so b......y hot, even if I shade it. It's got lots of top and bottom vents. What do you do to keep the temperature down?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    Hey Chris. Not in a wheelchair any more but am still limited so guess I partly count?image
  • Chris 25Chris 25 Posts: 50

Hi NutCutlet, and Clarington

well i keep drink lots of soft drinks keep the doors open, and if to hot a put an electric fan in the greenhouse to cool it down.

Clarington your more than welcome nice to here from you all,

i had 3  strokes the first was a bummer took all my left side, spent ten years in a wheelchair, i finaly taught myself to walk and drive again  but because i never had help to get me to walk properly, and was dragging myself i have what you call

stenosis of the spinal cord and its crushing my spine so i am back in my chair

as i am unsafe walking anymore but now i have a fantastic carer, she helps me out know end, still its life just have to get on with it lolimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Thanks Chris, maybe I'm too sensitive to the heatimage

Good to hear you can enjoys your gardening in spite of the obstacles.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

Hi Chris, I live in an apartment and the lady below us in the basement flat is in a wheelchair. The have a huge garden and she has done a lovely job with loads of pots and raised beds. When they moved in they had a large patio built and as the garden is slightly raised they had a gradual sloping path built so that she could get up into the garden. They have professional gardeners come in to do the rockery and lawns as she cant manage those. Her flat looks onto our garden, and years ago, I said what would you like to see, she said lots of flowers, that got me into gardening and propagating, so I can thank her for  that!!image

Stuck in doors at work at the moment and looking forward to 5pm when I get get home and get outside ! Have a nice weekendimage

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi Chris 25,im not long out of hos,went in ,in a wheelchair had an op on mi spine  ( neck) and now on 2 crutches, sometimes one if im feeling ok, so i understand how difficult gardening is on wheels, and yet i also know how the gardening helps in trying to overcome the probs, even on wet days im in the greenhouse, and watching the cuttings come on is the best it all calms me down a bit and takes my mind of the other probs , so good luck Chris happy gardening to all Sunny erein Norfolkimage

• AirwavesAirwaves Posts: 82

I too garden from a chairand have had much spinal and leg surgery with more to come in 8 days. My husband is 81, a non gardener but willing helper. I am only able to work for a short time ata stretch. I have many pots and rely on dense planting and the use of groundcover. We have a patio which could be extended should we wish. Some of our beds are slightly raised. I like light weight tools, especially useful is my hoe Should I need to gather weeds I use my pick-up stick.Sometimes it is a struggle to make the effort but I always feel better for itI also get pleasure from forums and magazines tooas I am sure you do, so good luck Chris

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Attitude and drive is such a major part, what a kind offer Mike image