Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Best compost for 2015

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Thought I'd start as new compost thread. 2013 from what I recall wasn't a particularly good year for compost, here's hoping 2015 will be much improved.

I usually get a few bags for pots around ther garden. Which compost are posters recommending and what would you recommend as a seed compost. Haven't bought any yet for this year...

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I'm trying Jacks Magic £6.99 for a 60l bag and it's buy one get one free at one of our local garden centres. Really like it. Great texture, rich and crumbly. Tried my usual Arthur j bowers and its full of chunks and far too lumpy for potting on. 

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

Wouldnt bother with seed compost always used multi purpose and never had a problem raising seeds.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I start off with a seed compost and when it runs out have been known to revert back  to MPC if nothing else available. Sowed some seeds on Saturday in old greenline seed and potting compost from last year and the brussels are already up. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I buy whatever is on offer at the time of visit.

Devon.
  • Coconut Coir is good as its fairly unrotted and rough, so is a good growing medium for seeds. Plus, once its done its seedling job, it'll rot down well into the soil.