London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
13 messages
25/02/2014 at 18:11

Hi we have just had a new 6ft fence put up the outer side faces a large field area used as a shortcut and we are looking to plant a hedge along it.

I have been thinking of Hawthorn but would like to put a reasonably fast growing evergreen in for the birds to shelter in has anyone any good ideas? Also do you plant 2 or 3 deep as I would like it to eventually be quite thick...

25/02/2014 at 18:31

Hawthorn will give you a nice wildlife friendly hedge and you can mix other things in with it - in fact you can buy native hedge mixes with wildlife specifically in mind. You can still get bare root hedging for the next few weeks or so which makes it very economical. If you have room then a double row will give a good dense hedge, and if you want to keep intruders out, a jaggier hedge is a good idea!  If you want to go evergreen then Laurel will grow quite quickly. It also depends how much maintenance you want to do - evergreens look better if they are clipped into a more formal shape so they need more trimming, but you could also use shrubs like Rhododendron (if your soil suits) which can look nicely uniform by themselves and don't need trimmed every year. You'd only need a single row if you went for them or Laurel. Berberis is another good choice of evergreen and is thorny as well. Other nice choices are Hornbeam and Beech which are deciduous but retain their leaves if they're kept under 8/10 feet, and they support lots of wildlife too. 

There's a huge list of choices availableSL, so perhaps you'd want to take a look at one of the hedging nurseries online and you'll get a better idea of heights and prices etc., and if you want flowers as well, you will get all the info you need. It's such a big subject! 

25/02/2014 at 18:36

I'd go for a mixed native hedge including some holly - wonderful for all sorts of wildlife - all sorts of suggestions and an advice service available here

http://www.habitataid.co.uk/british-trees-plants-seeds/Hedges_Hedge_Plants.html 

25/02/2014 at 18:50

Thanks both looks like it will be a well mixed hedge...

Dove love this web page

25/02/2014 at 19:13

From my experiences with laurel I wouldn't introduce it to a mixed hedge. It's too much of a bully.

A good thick native hedge will give plenty of shelter and you can always put some ivy through it.  Ivy's not recommended for hedges in mainstream gardening lore  but excellent for wildlife.

25/02/2014 at 19:37
Take a look here --- http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/221364036872
25/02/2014 at 19:38

Many thanks Nutcutlet for the laurel advise

25/02/2014 at 20:22

Sory SL, perhaps I should have said that I didn't mean mixing the laurel with the native one  

I  really only suggested it because you asked about  a quick growing evergreen but, as nut says, it makes a big hedge, so it depends what room you have. it's a good windbreak if you have a large enough area for it.Anything 'quick growing', by definition, will need more controlling too.

I'd personally go for a native hedge - or the Hornbeam, but I'm biased! 

25/02/2014 at 20:23

I got mine from here;

http://www.hopesgrovenurseries.co.uk/index.php?action=Search&searchtext=native

Service was excellent and I've planted them in a staggered double row for thickness.  I went for the economy native hedging then got some bird cherry and viburnum opulus (guelder rose) to mix in.  There is so much choice on there, it took me ages to choose!

25/02/2014 at 20:26

That's who I've used MrsG. They've always been excellent and the bare root stuff is so economical if it's a large area to plant up. 

25/02/2014 at 21:30

Totally agree Fairygirl and you can pay a little more for taller whips if you're eager for some height which is what I did.

26/02/2014 at 18:04

Many thanks for the advice going with the native hedging - looks like the mix will be Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Hazel, Beech, Wild Rose, Holly, Guelder Rose and Dog Rose. Just a shame we wont be able to see it as it will be behind the fence but hopefully will encourage more wildlife.

26/02/2014 at 18:50

A good choice

email image
13 messages