London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
20 messages
04/12/2013 at 08:16

I use fish blood and bone fertliser for just about everything I grow.  I think it's prob the best.  I have used other similar fertilisers....Humber fish for example, pelleted chicken manure too

What do the forum members use?  

I think it sensible to ring the changes now and then so will probably use something different next season.  

04/12/2013 at 09:35

I also use FB&B for most things, and organic pelleted chicken manure.  I also use Westland organic Farmyard manure - particularly on the veg patch where it is rapidly improving the structure as well as the fertility of our very free draining sandy loam.

04/12/2013 at 09:37

I use comfrey brew, chicken pellets and maxicrop seaweed.

04/12/2013 at 10:03

I tend to use FBand B as well, but I have been thinking about how much feeding flower beds actually need? If I stopped feeding for a season would I notice any difference? Would growing the plants a bit "tougher" make them actually stronger in the long run? Perhaps i have too much time on my hands?!?

04/12/2013 at 10:17

Punkdoc

I forgot to fertilizer one of my flower beds this year.while the structure of the soil was good, I also use a fine grade sift on soil.

Result was flowers that didn't really grow and eventually 80% of them died as the dogs where weeing on them.

so I would say add as much fertilizer/organic farmyard manure as you can

this is on my job to do today

James

04/12/2013 at 14:17

I use well rotted FYM to improve the soil structure and water holding ability.

I generally use Blood, fish and bonemeal as a general fertiliser when preparing veg beds.

I add bonemeal to the backfilling soil when planting trees.

I use comfrey tea as a boost for tomatoes. Nettle tea as a boost for brassicas.

Calcified seaweed (maerl) when preparing onion or brassica beds.(as well as FBB)

This year I gave the entire veg plot a good shovel full per square yard of Seer Rock Dust to add back some micronutrients leached out by two years of rain.

I dont have a lock on the shed. Most people couldn't stand the smell in there.

04/12/2013 at 16:56

Organic chicken manure pellets on the veg bed and FB&B on flowers; if I have time, a wheelbarrow or 2 from the local farm of horse manure really gets things going.

04/12/2013 at 18:07

Don't fancy eating anything grown on Bob Flowerdew's plot.    He recycles EVERYTHING. 

no amount of fertiliser can make up for bulky organic matter tho.  Plants will survive well enough if soil is healthy.  

05/12/2013 at 12:47

IVE never EVER bought fertiliser in my whole life.  I have 3 compost bins, and i compost everything that comes out of the garden, you name it andI compost it.

I collect leaves during the autumn and dig them in straight away into the garden, that gives the frost and cold weather to get to work on them, and I use the compost i make to add to the soil every year and apart from maybe a spell last year when things took a long time to get growing, ive never had any problems, I forget to say that i feed al my plants and veg with liquid from cumfry soaked in water till it smells awful and the same with nettles, thin it down to a 1 to 10 ratio approx and the stuff grows like wildfire.

Eddie.

05/12/2013 at 17:48

Verdun; up until about 120 years ago, carts collected the 'night soil' from London houses and put it straight onto the fields that grew the veg which were sold in, guess where? London! Even now, in the Fens, there was a very large and mysterious pile of very fine gray dust by a field where I walk the muttette. A neighbour told me it is re-cycled London (that place again - I'm sure I've heard of it before...) sewerage. I'm pretty sure he is right as it was covered in tomato plants in the late summer, before the farmer and his tractor dug it into the ground, WITHOUT WEARING A FACE MASK!!!

Basically, though, plant growth is circular; manure feeds the seeds, which grows the plants, which get eaten, which creates manure...

05/12/2013 at 20:19

I wrote this ages ago and keep it on file for reference.

"Blood meal is a slaughter house by-product and is an excellent source of quickly available organic nitrogen, when used as a top dressing and watered in.

Blood meal is completely soluble and can be mixed with water and used as a liquid fertilizer.

Fish meal is a great natural fertilizer, high in phosphorous and high in organic nitrogen. Fish meal is quick acting, offering a sustained supply of nutrients.

Bone meal is used as a long-lasting source of phosphorous as well as low levels of nitrogen, potassium and calcium. The extremely slow availability of nutrients from bone meal makes it a very safe fertilizer, especially when planting of potting very young or new plants."

06/12/2013 at 20:24

I'm not sure what is or isn't organic so rule of thumb me thinks, anything I've made is organic but stuff bought might not be.On that basis, I use horse muck and leaf mould as additions to home made compost to feed the ground and make liquid seaweed to feed plants.

Then I have a selection of bought stuff like FB&B, growmore and bone meal which is used generally in pots mixed with compost or spread in holes when planting flowers, shrubs etc...depending on the plant.

Then I have stuff to give vegs a quick burst like sulphate of amonia and potash.

06/12/2013 at 22:10

Why on earth does it matter if a fertiliser is organic or not? 

06/12/2013 at 23:11

Non organic fertilisers just supply NPK.  growmore, sulphate of potash and  ammonium sulphate come into this bracket.

Organic fertilisers supply micronutrients such as selenium, and copper which are only needed in tiny amounts. Its a bit like us living on a diet of boiled rice and fried fish. we would still get adequate protein, fat and carbohydrate but we would be missing all the vitamins and minerals needed in small quantities. Feeding plants on quick fix  inorganics leads to poorer quality veg in my opinion. Also, adding humus back into the soil with compost or manure, stabilises the soil, enhances its water holding properties, and stops sandy soils blowing away in a gale.

07/12/2013 at 00:15

Roger, simply because I believe organic fertilisers help condition the soil itself whereas artificial ones simply feed the plants.  It's the difference between eatIng,wholesome foods and just taking vitamin pills.

The  constant use of artificial fertilisers like Gromore damage soil life, in my opinion.  

07/12/2013 at 01:37

inorganic does nothing for soil structure as Verdun says 

there for no air,water retaining material, even adding soot and ash from the BBQ or fire adds structure

soot and ash help to warm the soil as they a dark in colour.

James

07/12/2013 at 21:12

I use fish, blood and bone on my borders - a sprinkle in spring. I use microrhizzal funghi when planting, I think it really helps the plants get going. Other than that, the plants in the borders generally get by with generous mulching of compost or leaf mould. I use comfrey tea for tomatoes and other potted flowering plants, and also "stinky juice" from my bukashi food composter. Plants seem to love that. Have used pelleted chicken manure in the past also, which seemed good but as I haven't got a car, haven't bought a big tub of that for a while. Maybe next year.

07/12/2013 at 21:48

My bought stuff is only used in pots along with vermisculite when potting up seedlings or spread ontop of seed trays to improve germination and I use perlite mixed with compost for hanging baskets and annual pots, after which the used compost in the latter goes to the tip. 

These aren't fertilisers but improve aeration and drainage in pots, vermisculite also reduces the risk of damping off for new seedlings. .    

08/12/2013 at 09:32

Hi all, I think we can take it for granted that we all have our own methods of what to use and what not to, me. like i said, I dont like using chemicals of any sort on the garden, and the wife wont let me use cow or horse manure, so it means ive got to use composting material, shes the boss in our house but dont tell everyone.  one question ive got though and that is using grit when you take cuttings etc. I see these gardeners on tv using what looks like pebbles not grit and i sometimes wonder how the seeds germinate!  just what is the size of the grit to use? is it ok to buy gritty sand from a building supply or what.  Any help appreciated. Eddie.

so

of wh

08/12/2013 at 09:50

Hiya brooklynguy

You are looking for fine gritty material...not pebbles.  Gritty washed sand from builders is fine. I live near the beach and can get sand there but, in my experience, it is not ideal for plants.  Too limey and too soft.

I use perlite for ,cuttings, seeds and for creating excellent drainage for plants in pots.  

email image
20 messages