London (change)
Today 18°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
8 messages
05/03/2014 at 19:44

My garden consists of two narrow borders and lots and lots of various shapes and sizes of tubs.Some of the bigger ones have shrubs in along with many clematis.The rest are mostly perennial plants.I renew the top 2/3 inches of soil every two years, but really need advise on what the best plant food/fertiliser to use.please 

05/03/2014 at 19:47

I have been advised here to use tomato feed on patio clematis.

05/03/2014 at 19:51

I'd add a good layer of well rotted manure , or garden compost, and let the worms do the rest for you. I'd second Artjak's suggestion re tomato food and clematis.

05/03/2014 at 22:58
I can't advise the best one to use as I'm not knowledgeable enough but what I can say is if you have dogs and you use blood, fish and bone fertiliser make sure it is well mixed in with your soil. My two hounds are having great fun digging up my plants to eat the stuff!!!
05/03/2014 at 23:18

For beds fish blood and bone, as Tracey says, well mixed into the soil.  In containers I too would go for top dressing with dried manure and a weekly dilute feed of seaweed spray and a high potash feed like phostrogen

06/03/2014 at 00:28

Hey Friend.  You do know how to get head scratching going

I have found that as modern technology has advanced.  Even for the so-called house plants.  Basic farmyard manure.  No smell.  I find it the best.

06/03/2014 at 07:59

I top dress the beds with home made compost and well-rotted farm yard manure, and a sprinkling of FB&B in the spring and again in early summer.  

Plants that produce a lot of blooms, like clematis and roses also get a watering of soluble potash in early spring and again in the summer.  

06/03/2014 at 08:50

When planting I use bonemeal and for hungry plants some chicken poo pellets. Tomarite is good for green growth. There is a special feed called Nitrozyme that Cannabis growers use (nothing wrong from learn from the professionals) that gives plants a boost during growing seasons.

email image
8 messages