London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
13 messages
22/01/2014 at 10:53

I want to creat a new border with lavender de Grasse which creates beautiful big bold display about 40cm high. There are so many roses on the market that I am totally confused. I don't want little roses, but I still want to see beyond them across the garden from the lounge window! I do want flowers from June to Autumn - I don't want Big bushes, yet I don't want a spindly speciman either. Can anyone narrow down the choices for me?? I do want lots of perfume, and I love the Bourbon roses - Any ideas? Coulour is ironically the easy part!!

22/01/2014 at 10:57

I agree, there are so many that it's difficult to choose. I love David Austin roses with big flowers and wonderful scent. Have you seen his website?

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/advanced.asp

22/01/2014 at 11:04

Louise Odier is a favourite - Bourbon, gorgeous scent, flowers all summer  http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/louise-odier/

also

La Reine Victoria http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/la-reine-victoria/ - another Bourbon, beautiful shaped blooms, great scent, continuous flowering 

both will look fabulous with lavender 

22/01/2014 at 11:06

Yes, and I drool over every photo! It still does not seem to solve my problem though. Any further thoughts from anyone?

22/01/2014 at 15:41

You say colour is the easy part. If you knew what colour you wanted that would narrow down the choice. With lavender you could have pretty pink, or a blue and yellow theme etc, then choose roses of that colour.

Pink ones, I like and have Louise Odier, Gertrude Jekyll and Geoff Hamilton.

I like Falstaff and Munstead Wood (don't have that one - yet!) of the Crimsons, yellow the Pilgrim and peach A Shropshire Lad.

22/01/2014 at 15:50

What kind of soil do you have? Worth considering, as lavenders tend to like poorer soil whereas roses do like a bit of much

Also, if you know what exposure you have, it'll help to narrow down your selection further.

I always thought white roses looked lovely with lavender too. 

22/01/2014 at 15:50

muck, even!

23/01/2014 at 17:13

All roses seem to thrive in my fairly sandy soil, although I do add loads of mulch and compost. White roses are great but I have cream walls! - Although there is a gravel path between the house and the proposed new bed. Thanks for the advice on Bourbons - I shall look these up. Only one thing - is the Tea Rose the spindly thing that I don't want? Are shrub roses too big - ie what distance should they be apart. I am looking at an 8 metre length border which will then tie in nicely with a larger established bed.

23/01/2014 at 19:45

Bio, if I were you, I'd decide on colour, height, fragrance first.

All the rose suppliers are eager to sell to you and they will give you all the helpful advice needed.

Once you decide, then unless you have definite idea's, the rose world is open for exploration.

I know from experience that it can take months to decide on the perfect rose for the perfect spot. Even then I have had to move them as I didn't do enough research in the first place.

Take your time, and visit all the rose supplier websites, from the costly to the less expensive.

Half the fun of gardening is in the research and then making and correcting the mistakes we make.

I wish you luck and lots of fun.

23/01/2014 at 19:49
biofreak wrote (see)

All roses seem to thrive in my fairly sandy soil, although I do add loads of mulch and compost. White roses are great but I have cream walls! - Although there is a gravel path between the house and the proposed new bed. Thanks for the advice on Bourbons - I shall look these up. Only one thing - is the Tea Rose the spindly thing that I don't want? Are shrub roses too big - ie what distance should they be apart. I am looking at an 8 metre length border which will then tie in nicely with a larger established bed.

The site I linked to above (with the Bourbon roses) gives details of approximate size and growing conditions and much other information for  every rose  on the site - they are also happy to answer queries. 

28/01/2014 at 15:56

Thanks for all the feedback - I am really grateful to you all.

28/01/2014 at 17:47

I started a rose bed in 2012 in place of an overgrown gone wild herbaceous border. It has sun on afternoons but is shaded by fence in the morning. I wanted scent and pink purple colours. I've stuck to two varieties Gertrude Jekyll at The back as it grows taller and Munstead at the front. I bordered it with Hidcote lavender. The roses did OK last year as they settled in and already are showing buds shoots,  I pruned in December. The site isn't ideal but I think it will be fine, I live in the NE. I ordered bare rooted plants from David Austin and was very happy with their service, they replaced without question a rose which failed to grow.

29/01/2014 at 15:09

Thanks so much Bilje, you have just got me to re-vamp the Border Plan - Hadn't thought of 2 heights etc. Now to hit the Websites recommended!!

email image
13 messages