Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Big garden bird watch

Are you taking part in the big garden bird watch?

on this weekend 25th and 26th January 2014 here is the link to register https://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/

I am taking part I enjoy seeing what birds are in the garden and how many I can count

I will put my bird count results from the garden on here for you all to see how many birds I counted and the species

Hampshire Gardener

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Ggirl - i will definitely be counting - have done it every year for a decade and it always amazes me how much more you see when you stop and watch the feeders for a full hour, rather than the usual glance out of the window now and then !

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

We don't seem to have as many birds on the feeders this year - as was said on Winterwatch, the milder weather means the birds aren't as desperate for high-energy food - however, we have had a few more goldfinches and tits around in the past few days.  

I find that we get the most birds on the feeders between 9 and 10ish, after a frosty night, so that's the time I'll be doing my count. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

After a frosty night the peanut feeder is visited by Greater Spotted woodpeckers, but not at other times.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I was going to do the 'count' on Saturday as the weather forecast for Sunday is heavy rain.

• Oooo I will be doing it as well

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Saturday looks best here as well.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I'm going for Saturday as well. Last year I watched from 2pm to 3pm and the number of birds was way less than in the morning so this year it will definitely be earlier on.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Unfortunately we'll be making the most of the daylight hours with much needed foundation for ManShed laying / 5 ton gravel moving / slab shifting / pond tidying up / bird box installing oh my the list goes on so I fear we'll scare the birds off. Mind you we seemed to get more when we were moving all that soil (fresh worms - the robin was fighting us off the roller so that it could peel off the ones that we'd "caught" and "tenderised") so maybe we'll prove lucky!

• Glad I saw this thread, wasn't aware of the bird count this weekend. Will definitely be taking part.

• Yes, we always do the bird watch. Will probably be Saturday.