London (change)
Wed 25°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
6 messages
18/02/2014 at 11:45

please could someone tell me how many birds(flowers) they have had out of one bud.

18/02/2014 at 14:08

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=1885

Try this link to the RHS.

You usually get one flower per spike consisting of a good number of coloured spikes to form the familiar shape we see in pictures.

19/02/2014 at 20:34

...and how long before it flowers at all?  I have had a plant for nearly three years, bought as a rooted cutting in the supermarket in France, and it is sturdy enough but has not made much growth.  It is in a large tub (as suggested in the growing info) and gets fed spasmodically and is kept indoors.

Any suggestions?

20/02/2014 at 07:44

Bumping up above the spam

Edd
20/02/2014 at 08:42

You have done everything right by the sound of it GG. You only missed one thing. Patience. Plants need 3 to 5 years before they will flower. They are a slow-growing plant..

During the winter, the plant should be kept almost dry then feed it every other week, using a general-purpose, water-soluble fertilizer. I water immediately after fertilizing to spread the fertilizer around the roots. You can try and encourage it by keeping the plant slightly pot-bound. Keep an eye out for mealy bugs and scale and you will be fine.

Hope you get some flowers this year. ( spring - early summer usually) 

Regards

Edd.

P.S. it needs full sun/ part shade but i am sure you know that.

20/02/2014 at 10:28

Thanks Edd - by my time of life patience comes naturally!

I shall look forward to seeing a flower - one day - someday - and continue to ry out anything which seems a bit unusual, to me anyway.

email image
6 messages