3 messages
04/07/2014 at 19:25

I have one Black Opal tomato plant, which I've not had previously. Are they particularly tricky to grow - do they need special care?  The whole plant has a blueish tinge to it. Although it has produced 3 clusters of flowers no fruit set on the 1st cluster, there seem to be just 2 fruits on the second and I think 2 on the third (still tiny).  It is in a pot standing outside beside the 3 x moneymaker and 3 x sungold and 1 x peardrop.  All these are happily producing fruit.  Has anyone any explanation for the poor performance by the Black Opal?  Should I just throw the thing away - although I was looking forward to tasting 'black' tomatoes. I don't have a greenhouse to move it to!   Thankyou, Mags

04/07/2014 at 19:51

I think it will be fine - it might just be later to get to it's fruiting stage - none of my 27 varied tomatoes in pots outside have any fruit set yet.  

I wouldn't worry about the colour of the foliage - it's quite usual for plants that have strongly coloured flowers or fruit, to have slightly similar foliage.  If you think of some deep red roses they can have quite dark foliage. 

Some interesting info about Black Opal here http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/blogs/graham_rice/archive/2012/10/28/tomato-black-opal-new-black-cherry-tomato-from-dobies-and-suttons.aspx 

04/07/2014 at 21:05

Fingers crossed my Black Opal will come ok then.

That was an interesting link, dovefromabove = thanks.   Mags

email image
3 messages