London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
13 messages
03/06/2014 at 17:37

Hi. I love roses but unfortunately I live in a black spot area. No matter what I do (pick up every single dropped leaf/twig, spray fortnightly) my roses end up looking like a disaster area. A local gentleman told me to water my soil with a weak solution of Jeyes Fluid as this will sterlalize the soil and, hopefully, sort my black spot out! Has anyone heard of this before? Will it damage any other plants in the garden? Would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

03/06/2014 at 17:52

Never heard of that,Alison, I get abit, just take leaves Off and dispose of, feed ,mulch roses regularly, someone who knows more than me will be along

03/06/2014 at 17:58

Jeyes' Fluid, I'd've thought, would kill all the soil microbes in the vicinity, which is bad news.  What it wouldn't do, watered onto the soil, is kill the fungus inside the leaves, which is what you want.

03/06/2014 at 19:10

Jeyes fluid is rather a drastic measure... I would do one of two things....if my rose(s) were continually succumbing to black spot and other diseases I would consider replacing them with roses that are highly resistant [English roses are very good amongst others]...there is no need today to have roses in the garden that continually need spraying....I no longer use fungicide sprays personally...

..alternatively..and this is what I do for 2 of my roses that are susceptible.. for black spot and mildrew...is foliar feed...this is now recommended by most rose growers... brands containing seaweed like Empathy multi purpose seaweed stimulant or Vitax organic liquid seaweed...just to name 2...  for cheaper, and more easily available [i.e. from supermarkets].. Miracle Gro multi purpose would probably be just as good..and of course you can use these for other plants...

..spray early in morning...not during hot sun... or evening on dry nights..

03/06/2014 at 22:09

I just spray sodium bicarb and washing up liquid on the leaves and it seems to be keeping it at bay

04/06/2014 at 18:19
04/06/2014 at 18:25

Jeyes fluid is dangerous stuff. Don't put it near yourself, children, pets, let alone roses.

04/06/2014 at 19:10

Hi, Alison......I've opened a thread in 'The Potting Shed' section of the forum today for queries like  yours.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/growing-roses/374186.html

04/06/2014 at 19:18

An alternative is to give up growing roses - there are a huge number of alternative plants and shrubs which aren't so prone to pests and diseases, will look fantastic and don't need all that pampering.

04/06/2014 at 19:22

Bob! ' m too shocked! I have 12 in 2 tiny gardens and they make me very happy, and I don' t faff with them much!!

04/06/2014 at 19:25

I'm with Bob, my three roses aren't half a ****ache!

04/06/2014 at 19:38

Horses for courses, rosemummy!  If they grow well in your garden they are wonderful, but if they don't, there's little sense in fighting nature! 

04/06/2014 at 20:10

I think my granddad used to put soot around his but I cant remember the details as to when or what part of the soot had any effect, and it may have been a bit of a myth. 

email image
13 messages