London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
KEF
05/11/2013 at 16:56

We always had a big bonfire to get rid of garden rubbish, we used to make a Guy F.

Dad used to buy a box of Standard fireworks 2 shillings and sixpence, that were stored high up in a cupboard and on the run up to the big night he'd get it down and we used to decide which was the first and which was the last to be set off. Always had sparklers to write our names with.

We had sausages and roast spuds and chestnuts standing around the bonfire.

One year when I was "part grown up" I had a very small glass of cider, loved it.

No bonfire but each year we have sausages & spuds, I drink a glass or two of cider and write messages to my Dad with a giant sparkler  ( wearing a pair of his old leather gloves) Bet I look a right teacake!

What do you do if anything?

05/11/2013 at 17:03

KEF, thats lovely.

We did the same sort of thing, also we walked around looking at all the bonfires people had in their gardens or land nearby.

As an adult I lived next door to a fireman who loved to throw fireworks on his huge bonfire, kids standing close, not much space etc...

For the last few years we have bought loads of fireworks, had a 'competion' with the local pubs display and always has soup and hotdogs to eat.

This year no such plans, but couldn't resist a small pack of fireworks from Asda.

Hmmm, great to hear the rain thundering down the windows....

05/11/2013 at 17:10

I remember the two shillings and sixpence box too KEF,the fireworks seemed to last for ages.

Several families would get together with one big bonfire and several boxes of foreworks,all the Mums would do sausages,sausage rolls,and jacket potatoes,all the Dads were in charge of lighting the fireworks and launching the rockets from milk bottles.

Nwadays we usually watch an organised display in the village,still fun but not quite as good as when we were young.

05/11/2013 at 17:23

We also had a box of standard fireworks (the ad on the telly, was it a song?)  Rockets from bottles, jumping jacks, Catherine wheels nailed to the fence post and of  course sparklers. We also had a guy (penny for the guy!) on the bonfire

Sometimes hot soup, jacketpotatoes,  sausages or hotdogs, roasted chestnuts on the fire indoors afterwards and marshmallows, hot chocolate Lovely memories

05/11/2013 at 18:02

My Mum used to light the sparklers from the gas hob - and writing your name was a must (gave my girls sparklers last Friday - and it was still the first thing they did.  Some things never change.  The second thing they did was post pictures from their phones of themselves with said sparklers.  Some things change beyond recognition !!).

Catherine Wheels on the trellis, and finding your scarves, hats and gloves for the first time that winter are also very strong memories.

KEF
05/11/2013 at 18:08

I used to sit in the window and wish it to get dark so we could get our wellies on and go out. Must add, not that's she on the forum, but M did make parkin. In later years when we had our own bonfire and friends came we had the previously mentioned food, plus leg of pork ripped into bits and we behaved like cannibals.

Right off to wave a sparkler, the rain seems to have stopped. Enjoy memories all who read this. Might not be back later as cider to be drunk

05/11/2013 at 18:38
Oh no! Those fireworks I bought are going to be set off in MY GARDEN !!!!!!!!
05/11/2013 at 19:00
Mulled wine, don't forget the mulled wine
05/11/2013 at 20:55

my mums birthday would have been today .. bless her .1960s big bonfire with the folks in our street , the kids would spend weeks geting paper and wood . and the mums would make a guy . dads would  get big fallen branchs from the woods .,spuds  trecle toffie  and my first taste of whiskey in tea. simple happy days

05/11/2013 at 21:02

Remember the year the fire had been lit,the guy was sitting on the top and my Dad suddenly launched himself  between the flames at the guy.........he had just spotted that my cousin had put his best shoes on the guy instead of the intended old boots

05/11/2013 at 21:26

We used to have fireworks in the back garden too, and sparklers 

My most interesting bonfire night was at a friends when I was a teenager (clearly not that long ago! Lol ) We were using their next door neighbours garden for the fireworks and bonfire as they were away (permission had been granted). Unfortunately the boy in charge put all the fireworks in a cardboard box next to the bonfire . Bet you can guess what happened next . . . . we ended up legging it down the garden being chased by all manner of fireworks!  We did laugh about it once we had all calmed down. All we had left was indoor fireworks, and let me tell you, they are pants! 

Best display ever is the free display put on in Greenwich. They are amazing! Def worth a trip if you can manage to get there 

05/11/2013 at 21:54

Lewes do a good display, also have seen a really good one at littlehampton. We also took our boys to Lingfield race course for good displays too

Awww, love to you Archie

06/11/2013 at 08:46

My Grandpa set up a little display when I was 7 years old or so. Every time I see a Catherine Wheel, I think of him.

When I was about 5, my Dad bought some of those indoor fireworks. He lit one, and it oozed what looked like greyish foam lol

These days, me and hubby take the kids onto the bridge next to the local cricket club to watch their organised display. We watch the fireworks and drink hot chocolate. Then we go home, eat Daddy's Special Burgers, and then get the sparklers out.

06/11/2013 at 08:49

lol just remembered when I was about 13 or so, the biker boys from a few doors up lit their bonfire and set the fence on fire lol

06/11/2013 at 09:02

When we were children we lived on a farm in the middle of a tiny hamlet - over the year Pa would accumulate burnable farm rubbish and 'stuff' in a corner of the yard, then the weekend before 5 Nov he and some of the other dads would load it all into a trailer and Pa would drive it down the road into the field behind the wood, other families would bring any burnable rubbish they had - if there was big stuff Pa would go and get it with the tractor and trailor, and then they'd all build a big bonfire and my brother and me and some of the other children would make a guy and on the Big Day we would take it down to the field on a pram trolley.

On 5th November all the children who lived around us (very few - only 13 of us at the village school!) and their parents would bring fireworks and each Dad would take turns in letting off their familiy's fireworks. . Mums would sit well back on bales of straw and be in charge of  flasks of soup (usually Knorr minestrone I seem to remember) and when all the fireworks were over we children would  ignite our sparklers on the embers at the edge of the bonfire and Ma would take us home.  Pa and the other dads would stay with the fire until it had died right down and then he'd come home, smelling of bonfire 

06/11/2013 at 09:43

We used to have communal bonfires and everyone would let fireworks off nearby, so everyone shared. There was always a badly made Guy and outside the shops boys would ask a penny for the Guy.

Did not see a single bonfire yesterday and people where still setting off fireworks late at night, so I think it has become a personal, let's set off fireworks rather than a social event for many. The 'Guy's' have been consigned to history.

06/11/2013 at 10:36

I loved going down to the local cricket club with friends and family, we used to know everyone there, all the local schools etc used to advertise it and there was a really sense of community. In recent years the bigger displays seem to be attracting more people and our little community seems to be getting smaller...its a shame I think! 

I saw a blog on the gardencommunity.co.uk website about how traditions such as bonfire night change and evolve too,...I just hope that the community aspect in all our festivals dont dissapear and turn in to one big money making circus!

oh and P.S is it just my family that have a home cooked chilli on bonfire night tradition??? lol

06/11/2013 at 13:28

Nobody makes Guys anymore  

I've not seen a "penny for the Guy" for a few years now. I believe it's down to the hyping up of hallowe'en in the last few years (because of American films and retailers) and that's really sad...

06/11/2013 at 13:31

I think it's more likely that modern sensibilties quail at the sight of what appears to be a human figure being burned on a fire.  We're all more exposed to the horrors of video news reports nowadays and I think we're just a bit more sensitive about it.

06/11/2013 at 14:34
Think you are right Dove - i always hated guys for that reason. OH suggested one this year and i wouldn't let him - my youngest would have nightmares for weeks
1 to 20 of 28 messages