London (change)
Today 12°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
10 messages
23/03/2014 at 17:01

When is the right time to burn our ever increasing bonfire pile? The last thing I want to do is singe a hibernating hedgehog. I'm in Cornwall so it's warmish.

23/03/2014 at 18:27

If your bonfire pile has been there a while it might not just be hedgehogs that are overwintering, I would suggest that rather than set fire to the existing pile you create a new one with the wood that way any creatures taking refuge will be safe from cremation

23/03/2014 at 18:30

At any time of the year hedgehogs (and little woodmice and other creatures) may be sleeping or even raising little ones in a pile of bonfire material - as Scroggin says the best thing to do is to stack your bonfire material and then, when the time has come to burn it, you build a good fire with the accumulated material.  

23/03/2014 at 18:31

I cremated a rabbit many years and although I didn't want it in my garden I wouldn't have willingly done that to it. I think it went into shock and just screamed, never heard a rabbit scream before or since. Then it ran out of the flames but it was too late by then

Not nice at all

Haven't had a bonfire for years now though, it all goes through the shredder

23/03/2014 at 18:49

Might be a good idea to check your local bye laws.......bonfires can be restricted to certain times.

Personally, I wouldn't use a bonfire...........if at all possible, compost the soft stuff, use a shredder for the harder material ( if that is feasible ) and what you cannot manage, take to your local recycle tip.

Given the weather recently, most stuff is far too wet to burn properly.......usually results in a smouldering heap which just drives your neighbours mad.

If you do have to burn stuff, you could purchase a garden incinerator or adapt a metal dustbin to serve the purpose.

Lyn
23/03/2014 at 19:04

Am i right in thinking that your council will supply bags to dispose of this every fornight.  I absolutely hate bonfires.

23/03/2014 at 19:05

If ok with bye laws and the neighbours etc I don't have a problem with an occasional bonfire to burn some woody material and the dried roots of perennial weeds - it provides useful potash for the garden. 

23/03/2014 at 19:29

Dove............I agree...........  key word here is DRY material

24/03/2014 at 10:00

Thanks everyone. Think once it's dry again I -well my husband-will move the stuff before I burn it. No problems with having a bonfire - we have a lot of land and only one neighbour near enough to be affected so we make sure the wind is blowing away from them or just decide to both do it at the same time! A few years ago we had an electric fence round our veg patch as there are rabbits everywhere and a hedgehog got caught in it and got burnt- needless to say we removed the fence instantly and replaced it with chicken wire.

24/03/2014 at 10:39

There is real skill to building and maintaining a good bonfire - the old chaps on the allotment would have one smouldering for days and days, banked on the outside with turves, just a little whisp of smoke at the top - everything completely burned to a fine powdery ash and some charcoal.  Their dads taught them, as their dads had done before them.  Another skill lost.

email image
10 messages