Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Border

Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

Hi everyone got a border 30ft x 2ft old lady next door moved out and two young lads are upgrading the house. They have cut down the 6ft hedge that was in the garden so just a 3ft high square wire fence on my side. I have put wood 18" onto the post to keep the topsoil in now ready for planting. I would like colour most of the year round with evergreen don't want anymore than 5ft high. 

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

Sorry pansyface i should have posted it's west facing and get the sun all day. Soil is very good got it from my brother-in -laws farm. Don't mind about how much time i spend on it as love my garden and in it everyday for hours.

Going to look for plants tomorrow any help will be great want perennials only for that border.

• wrighttwrightt Posts: 234

Check to see if the soil is acidic, alkaline or neutral, before you go shopping for plants as some are very fussy  about the conditions they like. As its in sun there is a huge choice of perennials which will like this. I would not go just for perennials though as a lot die down in the winter. So add a few low growing shrubs or ones that can be clipped like box, daphne, sarcococca, euonymus, hellebores etc for winter interest and don't forget the spring flowering bulbs. Try looking at the RHS website or crocus website for ideas. Crocus also have ready made border designs which you may like.

http://www.rhs.org.uk and http://www.crocus.co.uk

Thanks wrightt  There's a bed in front of this area full of shrubs,hellebores,bulbs. It was a gap i left to trim next door's hedge on my side but hedge no longer there. I don't want a hedge as such but something to give colour most of the year round and not any higher than 4-5ft. Will plant under cover plants also and few annual's during the summer.