London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
12 messages
24/08/2014 at 13:55

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57456.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

hi guys

Ive been gardening at my garden for 10 years now, and ive got it just how I wanted it. its a cottage garden, with a (too)large summer house at the end of a long rectangle plot. (the summer house was already there and it was what sold it to me)

trouble is, im bored with it! I usually take photos, make an album, see where I can improve etc. but this year,well..

off course, Ive outgrown it, its only my second garden, and its not my forever home,we cant afford to move yet,and I feel if I do a radical overhaul,i might regret it.my dad did with his,and hes so unhappy with it.

any ideas?!! ive looked thru all my gardening books and cant find any inspiration.

my colour scheme is pink,pastels,lavenders,white etc.

the summer house is annoying me,i need a greenhouse,my husband needs a shed,so we use it for this,half and half.i do have a mini greenhouse,cold frame etc.

any ideas?!! or should I just be grateful ive got a garden etc..!!

24/08/2014 at 14:37

Some people would kill for what you already have claire, however I do understand where you are coming from. For inspiration why not visit some gardens, use the net to look for different garden styles and idea's. It may take some time to finally decide what style you want so start with a list of the things you want in your new garden, shed GH etc, then style, then plants, as style will dictate the plants you will need to put in.

24/08/2014 at 14:54

Hi Claire, wow what a beautiful garden! It looks so pretty. I'd love to achieve a garden like yours. I'm on the other side of the fence with just a large rectangle of grass as a back garden and complete fear about doing anything to it! I get my gardening fix from an allotment area I've created to the side, as well as two borders around the front. I've fallen in to the trap of stuffing my borders full of all sorts and now they are a real mess, very unbalanced. Planning on emptying them out completely this autumn. Am just in the process of researching plant combinations as ive got my heights all wrong and there's no seasonal flow. Is there any way that you could change an area of your garden rather than starting again? It seems such a shame as it is so pretty.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57458.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

24/08/2014 at 15:08

Hi Claire, your garden is so pretty, I'd be tempted to put effort into doing something with the summerhouse rather than making big changes to your planting which you might later regret.  The summerhouse seems huge and there looks to be plenty of space to replace it with a shed and a greenhouse.  If your OH is good at DIY it may even be possible to make radical alterations by (for instance) building a dividing timber wall down the centre and re-cladding/re-roofing one half with clear twinwall sheeting to turn half of it into a greenhouse. 

24/08/2014 at 15:22
I understand Claire- DONT DO IT! Find another hobby, a different type of plant to grow, ive really messed things up because i was bored!
The growimg season will be over soon, when you have no gardening to do is when you will start to feel inspired.
Do you grow veggies?
How about getting a greenhouse to yourself, i reckon that would get you going again
24/08/2014 at 15:34

Hi Claire, its high time you get an allotment methinks.  

24/08/2014 at 15:36

thanks guys!!

I keep saying I will get a greenhouse when we move, but I really have to get one now.yes, I grow veggies,but I was looking to grow more peppers and tomatoes, I grow only cherry and a few peppers inside on my windowsill.

I think I will go with your advice bekkie!

greenhouse here I come!!!

24/08/2014 at 15:42
Well that was easy! You are going to blame me for it when your OH asks whats going on , dont blame you, anyway, tell him its far less disruptive than digging the whole garden up

So then, what cha gonna grow?
24/08/2014 at 16:13

Hi Claire

10 years is good going - I have never lived in a house that long! Been in my current one 1 year and garden is already full even though it was a brand new house. Grew loads of bedding plants in my potting shed and window sills but when they go I can't wait to move stuff around and put some more long term stuff in. How about making some small areas different rather than doing the whole lot - a dry area could become an alpine rockery or a boggy area a fernery? If not, what about doing a nearby neighbour's front garden for them? You would then be able to see it and they would be overjoyed seeing how good your own one is from the picture! You could also do the gardening when they were out so wouldn't need access etc. I was going to offer to do my neighbours front garden but have fallen out with them as they keep playing loud music and letting their dogs bark a lot! There is another person nearby who is away a lot in the forces and so far I have just weeded for her - she hasn't even noticed!

24/08/2014 at 16:54
Perhaps you could change the colour scheme. The green obviously takes care of itself, but you can confine yourself to white flowers and purple foliage.

Do get yourself a greenhouse, you'll love it! As big as you can manage.
24/08/2014 at 17:02

I think more veg is the way to go, perhaps just change a small section in your garden and concentrate on growing unusual varieties things that take some TLC.

24/08/2014 at 21:47

Claire, dont be afraid to do anything your heart desires. I always remember what the experts always say.."try anything, it can always be changed again later". If i plant a flower in the wrong place i change its position, and again if its still wrong. If i dig a new bed thats round and its not how imagined it, i just change its shape or start from scratch. Please never stop enjoying your garden

email image
12 messages