London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
23/06/2014 at 12:08

Hello, I have a large breeze block wall at the end of my garden. Any ideas on how to cover it??

23/06/2014 at 12:10

Hi jen

Which way does it face and what's the soil like?

23/06/2014 at 12:10

You can render it and paint it a pretty colour, then put up a trellis and grow climbers

23/06/2014 at 13:14

Its south facing. Was thinking about painting it. What paint would I use?

23/06/2014 at 13:25

This is the sort of stuff I'd use https://www.dulux.co.uk/products/weathershield-smooth-masonry-paint/ 

Of course, other brands are available - but basically it's the sort of stuff you paint the outside of your house with - you can get it from Jewsons/B&Q/Homebase etc.

23/06/2014 at 13:37

Just about to move into a house with the same problem - south facing too I guess. I was planning on putting some trellis or wires up and having some climbers cover it. any suggestions on what would be well suited? pretty sunny - soil atm is incredibly dense and clay. many thanks! 

23/06/2014 at 13:51

I'm growing Campsis radicans on wires on a south facing fence - it seems very happy there so far - details here http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/2993/Campsis-radicans/Details 

I'd dig lots and lots of well rotted farmyard manure into the clay first - that will really improve it 

23/06/2014 at 13:58

Thanks. What about a creeper type plant that would self hold to the wall??

23/06/2014 at 14:10

Hydrangea petiolaris clings to the wall, but it would be very unhappy on a south facing wall - it likes it more or less full shade.  It wouldn't grow well there. 

Most of the climbers other than hydrangea pet. or one of the ivies need wires or trellis to cling to. 

23/06/2014 at 15:52

Sorry to jump in..........Dove.............does your Campsis overwinter without any protection ?

23/06/2014 at 16:03

I hope so Philippa - it's only been there a few months - the nurseryman thought it would be fine - it's a very sheltered corner on the south facing terrace next to the fig tree.  I'll bubblewrap the pot for the winter as I do for the fig, and have fleece available for very cold snaps but I won't wrap it unless the forecast is dire. 

Fingers crossed.  

23/06/2014 at 16:47

Thanks Dove.......I did grow one in a previous garden direct into the soil ........flowered extremely well but I sold up before the winter so never knew if it survived.

I've been wondering about trying again........south facing wall alongside the Fig so similar situation to yours tho my climate is perhaps a little kinder than yours.  Yep, I think that is going to be next on my list

Like you say, fingers crossed (I reckon Gardeners actually must have more fingers than normal people)

23/06/2014 at 16:50

It explains why a lot of us miss the small weeds - it's hard to weed with fingers crossed 

23/06/2014 at 17:04

A rendered and painted wall can be a nice feature too. If you use some carefully placed specimen shrubs or planting and something like a sundial/ birdbath/ large pot which you can place in front of it, the wall will become part of the picture. It just depends how big a run of wall you have and how much of it you want to hide. 

23/06/2014 at 17:54

A neighbour when I lived elsewhere had just such a wall in a teeny garden - she painted a mural of a lake, with a tree and rock fringed lakeside  and boats on the water - it sounds kitsch but it gave that little patch such light - she trained clematis up over where she'd painted the trees and grew lilies in pots in front of it and it worked really well.  We would sit out there for our morning coffee gazing across the lake to the far shores - it looked a bit like Lake Como 

25/06/2014 at 06:17

Hi Dove, I thought campsis had aerial roots? Would it not cling to the wall?  It's what has put me off campsis for one particular site - I don't want it marking the bricks.

25/06/2014 at 07:19

Mine hasn't produced any yet - I think it produces them when it's more mature so it still needs help to cover the fence/wall - mine is covering an area about 6ft high by  across so far and no sign of adventitious roots.

25/06/2014 at 10:49

Hi Jen,

Me i would first paint then put up some training wires and put in clematis and honeysuckle either side and in the middle of the wall a huge mirror so it extends the garden when looking at it, and when you are done, Chelsea flower show is your next stop

25/06/2014 at 11:46

Hi Jen, we've got a breeze block wall too and I did think of painting it, but decided against it because it's holey, you need an awful lot of paint to cover it well, which works out expensive and it's a lot of hard work.

We screwed diamond patterned trellis on battens and then planted various roses, star jasmine, escallonia,  and ceanthos on it, south-east facing, and clay soil. Initially expensive, but won't have to do it again hopefully. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50676.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50677.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

The wall is about 4 ft high (which has got the diamond trellis on it with another fence on top. (The neighbour's garden is at a higher level than ours).

25/06/2014 at 12:39

A south-facing wall is ideal for heat-loving annuals like tomatoes or tender fruits like peaches.

1 to 20 of 22 messages