Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Britain's National Bird

According to today's news, I understand that a poll is to take place to decide our national bird. I thought it would be fun if we gardeners held our own straw poll here to nominate our own choice.

I nominate the blackbird, if only for its beautiful song.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995

My vote is for the Kingston Parakeet.  You can sit quietly in Richmond park, close your eyes, and imagine you're on safari.  

Utah, USA.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

The vote is on a short list of 10 birds

You can vote here

http://www.votenationalbird.com/

I voted robin, because I have no imagination and I always back the winner. It was already voted our national bird back in the 60's image

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Thanks for the link Gemma,

I Also voted Robin, although Blackbird was close for me.

• Cat 3Cat 3 Posts: 107
    I voted for the Robin - because its the first bird that appeared in my garden after my dad passed away. It was there every time I went out into the garden.

However, I have seen a few owls close up, and they are really beautiful creatures and they also do a good job of cleaning up the countryside of vermin!
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Everyone loves Robins...

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Pansyface image

I think from the birds I have in my garden I would also say Blackbird such charactersimage However I am very fond of the little Wrens that bob about, also like the Robins, Spuggies and all the Finches ..not keen on the blinking Pheasants that visit and as for the Ducks image We hear owls but don't see them. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I voted wren. It used to be on farthings and must be feeling worthless now. We need to boost its self esteem

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I like wrens but I voted for the Puffin as Britain has such a lot of coastline providing ideal habitat for this endearing bird which has been struggling in recent years because of food shortages.

Mute swans or barn owls would be my next choice.  Robins are too aggressive and unfaithful for me.   

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Wren for me.  Plenty of them about but you hardly ever notice them (just like ordinary, good-hearted British people!) image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • blairs wrote (see)

Everyone loves Robins...

You haven't met some of the robin barstewarts around here!  image