Register with us or sign in
First i wish to say hello to all as i have just joined,i don't know whether anyone else is the the same position but following family tradition ie my grandfather i sowed my broadbeans late october they germinated well and are now about 18 inches high and in flower i doubt whether they will crop or will they? also i am still pulling spring onions from my raised beds in my garden is this unusual?i live on the north wales coast
well.your right ,that's what my hubby would do if the soil in our garden didt look so much like a pond .you live in lovely spot ,holidays I have had there .
Most years I sow my broad beans in October, but due to family stuff didn't get round to it this time ......... yours are in flower now? What happens next depends in large degree to what the weather does ............. there'll be hardly any pollinating insects about at the moment so these flowers may not produce pods (although I've read that broad beans can self-pollinate to some degree) . The plants will continue to grow and have more flowers so hopefully the weather and the season will co-ordinate and the bees will do their business for you - I love fresh broad beans
I watch with interest and am a little worried that the beans are so far along. The frost/snow usually slows them down or kills them and we are not into February yet. As you mention raised beds, would it be possible to protect them with fleece/polythene?
The mice ate my seeds and the ones they missed the pheasant ate the tops
Mine are in large tubs in a cold greenhouse and due to the low light levels this winter they're stretched and are very spindly, about 3 ft high. I've staked and tied each one. I usually put them outside after the March winds, but should I ditch them and start again, or hope they'll get sturdier later.? I live in the highlands
Thanks Mike, I'll nip them out today and see how they do. Light still pretty bad...snow coming in.
I grew mine for the first time on my plot in Oct. They are about 6'' (dwarf variety) my problem is that they have been swimming recently due to the weather. Should I re-site them to higher ground or leave be. What do you think?
Yesterday I sowed some more in trays and are on the window sills.
Mine spent weeks and weeks under heavy snow last winter/spring and survived and cropped well - broad beans are tough (well, not tough to eat - they're delicious to eat ).
If you have a drier spot to transplant them to you could move them - taking as bit a rootball as possible - but that is likely to delay your crop - unless they are actually under water I'd probably leave them where they are and cross my fingers.
I'll cross my fingers for you too
Thanks Dove. The other day I spent ages removing the water so the BB wouldn't be so water logged. A good 'workout' but pretty pointless exercise as here we go again RAIN RAIN RAIN! You have given me hope so lets see what happens.
At least we not in Somerset- my heart goes out them.