London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
11 messages
27/01/2014 at 15:57

First i wish to say hello to all as i have just joined,i don't know whether anyone else is the the same position but following family tradition ie my grandfather i sowed my broadbeans late october  they germinated well and are now about 18 inches high and in flower i doubt whether they will crop or will they? also i am still pulling spring onions from my raised beds in my garden is this unusual?i live on the north wales coast

27/01/2014 at 16:09

well.your right ,that's what my hubby would do if the soil in our garden didt look so much like a pond .you live in lovely spot ,holidays I have had there .

27/01/2014 at 17:38

Most years I sow my broad beans in October, but due to family stuff didn't get round to it this time .........  yours are in flower now?  What happens next depends in large degree to what the weather does ............. there'll be hardly any pollinating insects about at the moment so these flowers may not produce pods (although I've read that broad beans can self-pollinate to some degree) .  The plants will continue to grow and have more flowers so hopefully the weather and the season will co-ordinate and the bees will do their business for you - I love fresh broad beans 

28/01/2014 at 13:07

I watch with interest and am a little worried that the beans are so far along. The frost/snow usually slows them down or kills them and we are not into February yet. As you mention raised beds, would it be possible to protect them with fleece/polythene?

30/01/2014 at 20:53

The mice ate my seeds and the ones they missed the pheasant ate the tops

30/01/2014 at 21:44

Mine are in large tubs in a cold greenhouse and due to the low light levels this winter they're stretched and  are very spindly, about 3 ft high. I've staked and tied each one. I usually put them outside after the March winds, but should I ditch them and start again, or hope they'll get sturdier later.? I live in the highlands

30/01/2014 at 22:18

Burgela.  A very warm welcome to the forum.

Some very strange things are happening in the gardens etc.  Gardening offers so many oppotunities for us to venture away at times from the classroom and text books. For those whose beans /plants are racing away.  Select a couple and 'Stop' them.  More drastically, don't be afraid to reduce the height.  Also if possible, expose the plant to more daylight.

31/01/2014 at 09:47

Thanks Mike, I'll nip them out today and see how they do. Light still pretty bad...snow coming in.

31/01/2014 at 11:08

Morning everyone.

I grew mine for the first time on my plot in Oct. They are about 6''  (dwarf variety) my problem is that they have been swimming recently due to the weather. Should I re-site them to higher ground or leave be. What do you think?

Yesterday I sowed some more in trays and are on the window sills.

31/01/2014 at 15:36

Mine spent weeks and weeks under heavy snow last winter/spring and survived and cropped well - broad beans are tough (well, not tough to eat - they're delicious to eat ).  

If you have a drier spot to transplant them to you could move them - taking as bit a rootball as possible - but that is likely to delay your crop - unless they are actually under water I'd probably leave them where they are and cross my fingers.

I'll cross my fingers for you too 

31/01/2014 at 17:57

Thanks Dove. The other day I spent ages removing the water so the BB wouldn't be so water logged. A good 'workout' but pretty pointless exercise as here we go again RAIN RAIN RAIN! You have given me hope so lets see what happens.

At least we not in Somerset- my heart goes out them.

email image
11 messages