London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
5 messages
26/06/2014 at 13:40

In just a couple of weeks the brown rot is reaching pretty much every leaf on every fruit tree and rose bush, including a cherry I planted just weeks ago (when I planted it there had been virtually no sign of rot, not even in spring with the blossoms on the apple trees). 

I have tried to find specific treatments, but really have no idea - but I have read that even with fungicide all the infected material needs to be removed. The problem is that all of the trees are completely infected, all the leaves and most of the fruit. I would have to strip the trees bare!

Also I'm concerned as to what is safe for me to spray around the chickens. I was thinking that whatever I use, I would do it when they go to bed in the evening, but there would still be residue on the ground so it would still need to be pet-safe.

Can anyone advise?

26/06/2014 at 13:48

Rebecca - can we see some pics of the problem - it sounds pretty horrific if everything is badly affected - but there are lots of spots/blotches/marks that appear on leaves etc that are just par for the course and nothing to worry about - let's see if these are more or less normal 

26/06/2014 at 14:37

Ok tried uploading a pic but its broken already! any tips on getting images to upload properly?

26/06/2014 at 14:39

To upload a photo from your pc you need to click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post - it will give you instructions - sometimes it's slow to load so be patient - it also objects if the photo is too large.  Sadly it won't work for phones - yet! 

If none of that makes sense shout!

26/06/2014 at 16:07

I think before you spray anything you have to find out what is wrong.  It is no good just treating the trees with everything you can lay your hands on.

Do you not have anywhere locally where you can consult someone?  Where are you?

email image
5 messages