Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Brugmansia cuttings.

For those with brugmansias, here is an easy way to increase your stock.

Any large plants outside, now look a bit sad. If you cut them down like a buddleja, it reduces the size of the plant to overwinter(frost free) The bits you cut off make cuttings which will root over the winter, stood in a jar of water in a windowsill.

This is a three year old plant which has been in the flower bed all summer. The root spread mean it is not feasible to lift it, so I cut it down and let the frost have it.

Last years cuttings, potted into 6 inch pots in march, have flowered and provide ideal cutting material.

Cut down to overwinter in greenhouse.

Cuttings trimmed up from the prunings.

Coffee jars filled with water, and the cuttings stand in these on a windowsill for the winter. They will develop white nodules below the water line, from which roots will grow. The water may need to be topped up from time to time. In March, I pot the rooted cuttings into 6 inch pots.

Cutting ready for next size pot.

Potted into 15 inch pot in May. Feed and water well for it to flower well in the summer. At the end of first year, cut down and make new cuttings.

• Wow fidget, thats great step by step formation. Ihaven't got one but will have this for future reference.  Was thinking of getting one next year. image Many thanks.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Fidget what do you think I should do with the two I rooted in Oct, now growing in compost in the house ..maybe conservatory then into cold GH ? I dug the original plant up 3 weeks ago and have it in MPC on dry side in unheated GH do I cut it back ? I don't want it to rot so do I only fleece in exceptional cold ?

If what I've done isn't okay I can still take cuttings from parent plant, it still looks happy with leaves on.

• Doh ........meant information  image

Fidget I known you have shown cut down in winter pics but my original is in 18 x18" planter in cold GH about 2' tall how much do I cut it back 2/3rds image and do I wait until it drops it's leaves ?

Big responsiblility having a Brugmansia Lily image But so worth it image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Cut it down to about 6 inches, and use the prunings for cuttings. You will need to keep the original plant frost free, damp only, not bone dry, and def not wet.

Cuttings are quite happy in the kitchen window. if a really bad frost is threatened , I move them away from the window, onto the draining board overnight.

Kef if the rooted cuttings are in small pots, I would keep them in the house in a coolish spot over winter.

Thamks F will do image

• Fabulous information thanks

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

If your plants are seed raised you need to take the cuttings above the fork in the trunk as this is adult wood, where the flower buds form, this will give you bushier plants that flower earlier.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Resurrected for anyone who has plants from Lidl this year, that they want to propagate.