London (change)
20 messages
09/09/2013 at 19:52

Thinking about lining the greenhouse this winter.  My question is who uses the expensive uv stuff? It jusy seems alot of money. Where does everyone get bubble wrap from. Cheers gab.

09/09/2013 at 19:54

You can buy rolls of bubble wrap at self storage units. I use white fleece.

09/09/2013 at 19:57
hi gab i bought from City moves on the net being as were moving ,it comes in different lengths and widths and the price was the best and delivery good, im using it in the greenhouse and new garden this winter
09/09/2013 at 20:05

Thanks for the replies. So is the cheap packaging stuff just as good? Was thinking of just leaving it in all year round. Hope it will last a couple of years. Thanks alan will check that out. Waterbutts is the fleece just as good? 

09/09/2013 at 21:11

I don't know if it's just as good cos I've only ever used fleece. I tie strings across the vertical windows and use mini clothes pegs to attach the fleece to them. They end up about two inches away from the glass. It works for me. The thing I like is the fleece packs up really small for the summer unlike the bubble wrap.

09/09/2013 at 22:29

I think I'll try fleece this yr WB. Does it help to keep the frost off? What do you keep/grow in there?  This is my 1st full winter with the greenhouse, so any ideas gratefully received.  I'm hoping to overwinter my twisted stem standard fuchsias, and start off all my veg early. It the summer I use old net cutains on the sunny side for shade, and this works great as I can 'open the curtains' on dull days.

09/09/2013 at 22:36

My greenhouse is essentially cold with only a nightime paraffin heater. I keep the fleece up all winter and I haven't noticed any mould or mildew at all. This will be my second winter. Last winter it was minus ten at night and I kept things like pelargoniums going OK.

I use net curtains too - they are jolly good. I just washed mine and put them away today!

09/09/2013 at 23:10

Thank, you, Waterbutts.  A neighbour gave me a paraffin heater when he saw me putting up the greenhouse, but I never got to use it last yr.  Unlike Tea, I have lovely neighbours on every side, and just sheep in front (they're the noisy neighbours!)

09/09/2013 at 23:40

Yes, we have sheep on two sides and sometimes, when they escape, on three. Two delinquent ones have never been tagged and seem to belong to nobody. They spend their lives walking up and down the road side by side and breaking into gardens.

10/09/2013 at 09:46

You can get big rolls of bubble wrap from the stationery store Staples, its where I got mine.

10/09/2013 at 12:31

How about this 

ebay Link

this is what I will be buying when my greenhouse get built


10/09/2013 at 13:15

i dont know how to post a link on my tablet but go to harrods horticultural for fleece 

good quality and many sizes

10/09/2013 at 16:01

Little-ann is this what you are trying to post

At the top off the page is the address Line just left click and high light the address then control and pree key C which will copy it. so then you come to your post and press control Key v to paste 


10/09/2013 at 17:23

thanks james i could manageto copy but not paste i will have a go later need to get tea ready

10/09/2013 at 18:04 

looks like it works thanks james

10/09/2013 at 18:23

Was looking at twowest for my size greenhouse it's £35 for a bubble wrap kit seems a good deal

10/09/2013 at 18:55

stupid question - how do you attach bubblewrap?

10/09/2013 at 19:18

with ali plugs you can find them on Amazon or ebay. Or even at your gc. You can get a bubble wrap kit from  the link above. Just think its a bit expensive with delivery

10/09/2013 at 19:41

Thanks Gab82, think I'll go for fleece instead. those plugs look too technical for me

10/09/2013 at 20:20

I usually get mine from B & Q was £13.00 for a massive roll and has lasted for a couple of years.

I use gaffer tape to fit to the aluminum frame, cut the bubble wrap to the length required and stick to the aluminum frame, trouble is you end up with the sticky stuff on the aluminum frame.  Last year though I used the ali plugs which are great try and buy in bulk because a pack of ten from a garden centre costs a lot for what you need.

I insulate the roof as well. thats when the ali plugs come in useful ensuring the bubble wrap doesn't fall on your overwintering plants or heater if you are using one which obviously is paramount for safety .

I also wrap my fuschias individually in fleece after cutting them back hard and down potting them.


email image
20 messages